Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adding HD Leaf Springs-Should I Replace Anything Else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Adding HD Leaf Springs-Should I Replace Anything Else?

2000 XJ, Daily Driver
rear leaf springs are shot.

i've decided to go with heavy duty leaf springs as a replacement. I've read that they will actually provide roughly a 1.75" lift. I will replace all the bushings and I believe that most people add spacers to the front to even out the lift.

1) Would this be a good time to replace all the shocks? They have almost 30K on them. If so do you recommend a brand?

2) Do coils wear out also? Should those be replaced along with the next springs?

3) With this little extra clearance could I increase my tire diameter without having to do any cutting or other mods? I currently run 235/75/15, I've heard a larger tire might fit after spring repair.

Thanks for any input
Old 12-03-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

If your rears are shot and you still have the stock shocks and coils, why not go ahead and do the whole works?

I did shocks all around, coils and leafs on my 89 and she feels pretty good.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:11 PM

I replaced all four shocks and springs with factory spec upcountry stuff. Rides a little firm but gave me about 1.25" lift. Ran around $500 with all new shackles, coil isolators, bump stops and sway bar end links/bushings. Bought everything from Amazon. I'm now running 30x9.5x15 tires. My feeling is if you are taking out the springs to do spacers you may as well do springs.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by timmysixgun
I replaced all four shocks and springs with factory spec upcountry stuff. Rides a little firm but gave me about 1.25" lift. Ran around $500 with all new shackles, coil isolators, bump stops and sway bar end links/bushings. Bought everything from Amazon. I'm now running 30x9.5x15 tires. My feeling is if you are taking out the springs to do spacers you may as well do springs.
Can you provide a link to the coils you purchased, please.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:24 AM

This is how I set mine up. I use this vehicle for hunting primarily so I wasn't going for any serious lift. Just enough to pull my goose trailer into fields and run some random logging roads. It has worked out well so far. From what I've read this is the exact setup as the factory upcountry suspension group with the exception of the leaf bushings.

These spacers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0021...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These coil springs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These leaf springs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009X...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These shackles

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These leaf bushings

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adding HD Leaf Springs-Should I Replace Anything Else?-image-3335704489.jpg
Old 12-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 renix

Did literally the same setup as you Timmy, except went with the Moog 784 coils, which give an additional inch or so of lift.

This was my writeup

Absolutely love it. With an adjustable track bar (rough country) I paid a grand total of $500, including bolts/etc. which is damn good considering brand new parts, brand new shackles, extended sway bar links, and adjustable track bar. Also bought the parts over time when they would go on sale on my wishlist. I understand the buy once cry once mentality, I really do - and the Rusty's kits are extremely well priced, but I def saved a bit of money when considering track bar and shackles, and didn't have to dish out all the dough at once.

To answer OP's 3rd question: I Can now fit 31x10.50s with the adjustable track bar and after pulling the skirts out and stuffing pool noodles. No cutting or trimming required
You will need an adjustable track bar to split the difference of wheel clearance on both sides, otherwise one side will only have ~.5 inches of clearance and the other might have ~1 inch at full lock. It's not a garuntee, differs from XJ to XJ, but with an adjustable track bar you should be able to split the difference to say .75" and fit 31s and not rub at full lock, or only rub SLIGHTLY at full lock, which most guys wouldn't care about. Pulling fender skirts should be done though, and what I did was sprayed the inner fenders/doors with some black spray paint and stuffed pool noodles up and zip tied them in. This buys you at least an inch of clearance. with ~2.5 inches of lift this should be all you need.

Without an adjustable trackbar, 31's (10.5 wide) will rub, at least at full lock on one side. 30's will fit though (9.5 wide)

I did build BPE's in the back from removing the rear sway bar. Never have to deal with those hellish upper shock mount bolts again, and it buys me ~1 inch of lift with the stock Monroes I have. I also found a set of Bilstein 4600's for the front at the JY for $10 that are 1.5" longer than the stock Monroe's I pulled off of mine. Not ideal, but cheap as hell and if they blow oh well, I get some 5100s. No biggy. I'm not offroading constantly.

So to answer OP's 1st question - go with 5100s if you have the cash. Either way, I'd recommend making BPE's if you're doing the rear springs anyway. Takes like 10 minutes to yank out the rear sway bar if you're undoing the u bolts anyway. This will buy you some lift clearance with any shocks, and make more shocks more doable for awhile.

Check out my writeup for a few in progress pics, and check out bleepin jeep's YT channel, he has everything you need.

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-04-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:49 AM

thanks for the info Timmy. Nice looking ride. Looks like thats the way i want to go. daily driver / camping / fishing vehicle.

are you happy with the quality of the parts? any issues?
how long they been on without any problems?
did you change out shocks also?
no rubbing with 30X9.5s?
standard bump stops?
sway bar end links from amazon also?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 renix

Not to steal from Timmy - but here:

Amazon.com: KIT - SWAY BAR END LINK 84-01 JEEP XJ - 4WD: Automotive Amazon.com: KIT - SWAY BAR END LINK 84-01 JEEP XJ - 4WD: Automotive

These are about 1.5-2 inches longer than stock, and are easy as hell to install (much better than the ball joint oem style too) - and you'll need them for anything over 2" of lift (the stock ones will probably snap if you ever try to remove them anyway)
Old 12-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dumbagain
thanks for the info Timmy. Nice looking ride. Looks like thats the way i want to go. daily driver / camping / fishing vehicle. are you happy with the quality of the parts? any issues? how long they been on without any problems? did you change out shocks also? no rubbing with 30X9.5s? standard bump stops? sway bar end links from amazon also?

No issues as of yet. Put around 3500 miles on it. I did replace the shocks with Monroe sensatrac shocks, probably not the best option but the dogs don't seem to mind. I removed the rear sway bar but have not done the bar pin eliminator yet. Bump stops in the rear were replaced with factory ones and the front tie rods and bar bushings are moog. All ordered from Amazon. I have Amazon prime and pretty much order anything I can from there.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the info and links. I already have the shackles and coil spacer, I think I am gonna go the HD leaf/vairable rate coil route to bring my life up to ~3 inches and I have some JK shocks I am throwing on with BPE's.