Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Cherokee engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97 Cherokee engine swap

Hey guys I really need some help.
I currently have a 97 Cherokee sport with a 4.0 engine and manual 5 speed.

I would like to do an engine swap however other than rebuilding the 454 in my 3500, I don't have a ton of mechanical knowledge.

I currently have access to a 06 hemi, and a 2010 5.7 liter hemi. I'm wanting to place one of these two engine in my jeep, but that's as far as I'm getting, I don't know which would be the best to go with and if either of them is possible to do as a swap. My friend told me that if I went with the 2010 I'd have to go with an automatic transmission. I guess I'm willing to loose my manual if I can get a 5.7 liter hemi in my jeep.

I think I have a Aisin-Warner AX15 5-speed manual, that's what's listed on some websites.

I think I also need an ECM, possibly a longer drive shaft, new fuel lines, what else am I gonna need?

Thanks every one
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Cherokeesportguy
Hey guys I really need some help.
I currently have a 97 Cherokee sport with a 4.0 engine and manual 5 speed.

I would like to do an engine swap however other than rebuilding the 454 in my 3500, I don't have a ton of mechanical knowledge.

I currently have access to a 06 hemi, and a 2010 5.7 liter hemi. I'm wanting to place one of these two engine in my jeep, but that's as far as I'm getting, I don't know which would be the best to go with and if either of them is possible to do as a swap. My friend told me that if I went with the 2010 I'd have to go with an automatic transmission. I guess I'm willing to loose my manual if I can get a 5.7 liter hemi in my jeep.

I think I have a Aisin-Warner AX15 5-speed manual, that's what's listed on some websites.

I think I also need an ECM, possibly a longer drive shaft, new fuel lines, what else am I gonna need?

Thanks every one
Welcome to CF.
You'll need the Hemi's wiring harness along with the Powertrain Control Module, and either the trans for the Hemi or an adapter.
Or contact Painless Wiring >->http://www.painlesswiring.com/, and they can make you a plug & play harness for whatever you decide to use.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Welcome to CF.
You'll need the Hemi's wiring harness along with the Powertrain Control Module, and either the trans for the Hemi or an adapter.
Or contact Painless Wiring >->http://www.painlesswiring.com/, and they can make you a plug & play harness for whatever you decide to use.
Ok the guy I'm buying the engine from has the trans as well as the wiring harness, i just emailed him about the power train control module, so I guess that solves that. Is my drive shaft going to match up with the trans? I'm assuming there's going to be a length issue if not a fitting issue with the different body style and years.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

I doubt the driveshaft will be the correct length. Is it going to be 2WD or 4WD?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 AM

4wd
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 89XJ,98ZJ,72K10, 06 Tundra..
Default hemi

Id put whichever engine in that is physically the smallest....because you are in for nightmares that you never imagined. Plan on a custom radiator along with the 1000s of other custom parts you are going to need. Two custom shafts etc...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Thexjfiles
Id put whichever engine in that is physically the smallest....because you are in for nightmares that you never imagined. Plan on a custom radiator along with the 1000s of other custom parts you are going to need. Two custom shafts etc...
Ya that's what people have been telling me recently, another recommendation I was given was just to buy a supercharger or a turbo kit for the online six, was told I would still get a pretty good hp boots for the money, and it would be a bit simpler than doing the engine swap. Figured all together to do the turbos it's end up around 3k, which is the price of the engines and trans, so it would be cheaper to since the engines would need all that extra your t asking about.

What does everyone think about this idea instead?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

I thinks the Hemi will be awesome in the XJ when it's done, but it's going to be a lot of work. I think the exhaust manifolds/headers will be a nightmare.
I wanted to put the late Hemi in the '97 ZJ I had but talked myself out of it.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I'd say do the hemi if money is not an object. With enough cash anything can be fabbed to fit and work
Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

V8 swaps are not as difficult as some would have you believe.

My experience has been that most naysayers have little no experience with the swap to begin with.

Go for it!!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI HO
Default wrong.

man! ive been doing everything i can to find a 5 speed xj. i cant believe your just gonna toss it? jeeps weren't ment for v8s. your destroying something beautiful man
Old 11-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998

I applaud your inventiveness. Still and all, you're in for a big job, to say the least. There's nothing that would be plug and play from the original configuration to the new. Everything would have to be fabbed or replaced from the motor mounts on. I have concerns about the transfer case compatability to the new transmission which I have no idea if it will work or not. There's also a concern on how well the rear end will stand up to the new power configuration. It would suck greatly if you get everything in and working just to blow out the differential a couple drives later because of the gearing or just too much stress from the higher horsepower and torque. To go from the I6 to a hemi V-8 would take consideration of each and every drive train component and if it would be suited to the job.

The exhaust system is a consideration also. Will the original hemi's exhaust manifold pipes fit and clear? If you are going with headers, will direct fit (that is, direct fit to the engine. There won't be any listings for headers for a 5.7 to go right into an XJ) ones fit within the engine bay or will you have to modify a set to work correctly? Consider that even if they fit in the static mounting, the engine torques to the side under load and will the pipes hit when the engine moves on the mounts? You're likely looking at a custom exhaust system also as I'm sure there is no direct mount system for a hemi in an XJ.

You're also talking about looking at the front suspension and weight characteristics. What is the weight of the hemi and mated transmission compared to the original? You might have to look at this and end up beefing up the entire suspension system as a result. Don't forget the rear also. I've heard of people breaking loose rear suspensions because they did a swap and the rear wasn't up to the task of holding up to the higher stresses from the more powerful powertrain. I'm not just talking about drag configurations, either.

Before you go this route considering the expense and sheer amount of work involved, I'd look at articles of other major powertrain swaps done on other vehicles in the magazines and on the net and what the owners had to consider and do to make the swap work properly and efficiently. There's a bunch of them out there just on other Jeep models alone. There is much more involved in the end than you have considered. I'm not saying NOT to do this. Quite the contrary. What I AM saying is that much more has to be considered and planned for than you have mentioned.

And putting a bow tie engine in a Jeep is just plain blasphemy.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 11-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:37 PM

I just picked up a 96 XJ recently and found I most likely facing the delima of a stock replacement, a stroker or a conversion. I just read this great article on GM swaps that may provide you some guidance for any V-8 swap and things to be looking out for. A friend mention the hemi swap but so far I haven't found much data on adapters for tranny's, mounts, cooling etc. Check it out and I hope it helps.

www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm
Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

HOLY FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD REVIVAL!