Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 xj helllllp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ho
Default 92 xj helllllp

OK so it's been a week I changed my head gasket and not it won't start I can get it to spudder and that's it's anyone have any ideas please help thanx
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by xj81
OK so it's been a week I changed my head gasket and not it won't start I can get it to spudder and that's it's anyone have any ideas please help thanx
Have you done anything in the way of diagnostics?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You're going to have to dig in here and don't skimp on details. We need more than you gave us.

First of all we need the back story. Why did you have to change the head gasket? Overheat? How bad? Did diagnostics like a compression test lead you to that? What did the gasket look like when you changed it?

Did you check for a strong, blue, snapping spark? Easy to do with the 87-99 XJ. If you have good spark, verify fuel pressure; must be done with a gauge; no shortcuts. You need approximately 31 psi to start the 4.0 engine on a 92.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
You're going to have to dig in here and don't skimp on details. We need more than you gave us.

First of all we need the back story. Why did you have to change the head gasket? Overheat? How bad? Did diagnostics like a compression test lead you to that? What did the gasket look like when you changed it?

Did you check for a strong, blue, snapping spark? Easy to do with the 87-99 XJ. If you have good spark, verify fuel pressure; must be done with a gauge; no shortcuts. You need approximately 31 psi to start the 4.0 engine on a 92.
OK Yes over heating water in the oil plus the 6 and 5 spark plugs were a little rusty on the inside any way got the head off gasket blow out was gonna rebuild the motor so I started to dis assemble with that I took out the distributor long story short I have spon the motor without the distributor so decided not to rebulid just do the gasket so I put it back together got new cap rotor plugs wires my spark is low fuel pressure is normal even checked injectors normal but my spark looks kinda week is it possible for the coil to burn out slowly or do they just go bad
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

OK Yes over heating water in the oil plus the 6 and 5 spark plugs were a little rusty on the inside any way got the head off gasket blow out was gonna rebuild the motor so I started to dis assemble with that I took out the distributor long story short I have spon the motor without the distributor so decided not to rebulid just do the gasket so I put it back together got new cap rotor plugs wires my spark is low fuel pressure is normal even checked injectors normal but my spark looks kinda week is it possible for the coil to burn out slowly or do they just go bad
Your coil can be easily tested for both primary and secondary resistances with a service manual outlining the specs and a meter.

If you have weak spark, (NOT SNAPPING BLUE), you must start here.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Your coil can be easily tested for both primary and secondary resistances with a service manual outlining the specs and a meter.

If you have weak spark, (NOT SNAPPING BLUE), you must start here.

Good luck.
OK thanx
Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 AM

OK checked everything suggested to no result changed the cps still nothing what else is left to replace
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

id check the distributor stabbed right maybe a few teeth off or even 180 ?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by xjbeans
id check the distributor stabbed right maybe a few teeth off or even 180 ?
I did spin the motor with the distributor out how would I get it back
Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 AM

It just won't go back in time it's been weeks now what else can be done to time it correctly
Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

I did spin the motor with the distributor out how would I get it back
That is likely your problem.

Search this forum, other Jeep forums and the web for DISTRIBUTOR INDEXING for how to get it placed correctly.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

That is likely your problem.

Search this forum, other Jeep forums and the web for DISTRIBUTOR INDEXING for how to get it placed correctly.
Top dead center the number one cylinder point the rotor ant the number one plug I think that's how you do it still look it up
Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by xjbeans

Top dead center the number one cylinder point the rotor ant the number one plug I think that's how you do it still look it up
I have done that several times I'm bout to cry lol it's so frustrating it wants to start it spudders Smokes it's bout to start just won't I think I might just replace the whole distributor so I know it's in time
Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

I have done that several times I'm bout to cry lol it's so frustrating it wants to start it spudders Smokes it's bout to start just won't I think I might just replace the whole distributor so I know it's in time
Replacing the distributor won't help if its not indexed properly. If it ran before you did the head gasket, the distributor is likely fine.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Replacing the distributor won't help if its not indexed properly. If it ran before you did the head gasket, the distributor is likely fine.
OK I have tried several different ways tdc rotor on number 1 nothing put the rotor a little before number 1 nothing put the motor a little passed tdc nothing oil slot always at 11 is there something I'm missing