Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

91 XJ won't start...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Post 91 XJ won't start...

Hi all, I just bought my XJ day before yesterday, got it home and it was running fine...That was until my father in-law decided (without my knowledge, or permission) that the engine wasn't "pretty enough" and wanted to surprise me while I was at work by cleaning it up. He threw degreaser on it, waited, and proceeded to hose it off. If that wasn't enough, he decided to power wash the undercarriage. My husband started it about an hour or so later, and it was fine. I went out this morning and it wouldn't start.
I figured water must have gotten into places it shouldn't (duh), so I took a look at the distributor cap and there was a little water in there, checked fuses and what-not, nothing there. I went and got a new one, put it on and nothing.
I then decided to start searching the threads, different websites etc. to see if I could get an idea of what the heck is going on. I found stuff about the alarm, etc. but after trying everything I could fathom and more...I am on my last nerve. Can SOMEONE PLEASE help me? This is my dream rig and I haven't even had the chance to drive it.
Thanks for reading, and I hope I don't sound too stupid..
Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

You don't sound like the stupid one in this problem

Does it turn over when you try to start it, or does it do nothing at all? I think it should help that we know it started once after the electrical stuff got its bath. Did he manage to get water in your intake or something, so when it started it sucked it in? Can't hurt to check if the filter is soaked. How long did it run after the engine beautification?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

The distributor cap and the throttle position sensor are the two things under the hood that absolutely HATE water. I'd be darn sure that everything inside of that distributor gets dried out properly and see if that resolves.

If not, it would be a good idea to check for spark. Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You need a strong, BLUE snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark, which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

If you have a strong blue spark, I'd consider installing a new throttle position sensor. They aren't particularly expensive.

Good luck and let us know how you come out!

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-04-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM

It turned over the first few times, but you had to give it gas to keep it on for more than I'd say ten seconds. I figure it flooded cause all you could smell was gas. I checked the air filter last night, it needs a new one, but it's dry. It ran for about five minutes, he thought everything was good, and shut it down for the night.
I politely let them both know that I would strangle whoever touched my Jeep, or so much even looked at it without my permission again..
I reset the alarm too, so I know that isn't the problem. I'll check the spark this morning and let you know what happens. I have a feeling that is what's going on. I'll also double check the distributor.
Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

A shot of WD-40 in the dist. cap will help if any water is seen. From you what you said in your last post, im leaning toward the Throttle Position Sensor as well, but if it was running rough could be water in the distributor, causing misfires. Good Luck
Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by AnnieXJ
It turned over the first few times, but you had to give it gas to keep it on for more than I'd say ten seconds.
The above symptom is indicative of a bad throttle position sensor.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM

So I guess I figured it out..My driveway is slanted, and I rolled it down to park it on the street so I could work on it on a flat surface. Low and behold the dang thing started right up. Now, I don't know too much about cars etc. but shouldn't a Jeep be able to start on an incline? lol I mean, come on. Has that ever happened to anyone else?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Low fuel level, gas gauge inaccurate, coincidence !? Moisture that was causing the problem had time to dry out?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM

That's pretty much where I'm at! lol I suppose i'll just chalk it up to a random lapse in function...sounds technical, I might get away with it!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by AnnieXJ
So I guess I figured it out..My driveway is slanted, and I rolled it down to park it on the street so I could work on it on a flat surface. Low and behold the dang thing started right up. Now, I don't know too much about cars etc. but shouldn't a Jeep be able to start on an incline? lol I mean, come on. Has that ever happened to anyone else?
Has to be coincidental. Yes, the XJ starts very well on an incline. Sometimes a VERY STEEP incline!!