Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 XJ fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 XJ fuel pump question

MY 89 XJ has a hard to start problem. i need to cranck the engine for about 10 seconds about 2 to 3 times before it starts. does the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds when you turn on the key to the run posistion or not. i dont hear it turn on when i turn my key to run like i do on my dodge durango maybe this my problem? if so can someone varify it for me on their 89, turn on their key and listen for the pump. thanks.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

the pump does come on for about 4 seconds after key is turned on to charged fuel rail. I here mine easily.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

Yeah smae here.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Seasoned Member

ok thanks mine is not comming on when the key is turned to the on posistion to pressurise the system i guess thats my problem. now i have to start there any ideas anyone?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo
ok thanks mine is not comming on when the key is turned to the on posistion to pressurise the system i guess thats my problem. now i have to start there any ideas anyone?
Remove the gas cap and listen while someone turns the ignition to on. You should hear it come on for a few seconds and then turn off. If it does not come on, swap out the fuel pump relay with one of the others...I belive the starter relay is the same one as the fuel pump. If it does come on, then you have a problem with the fuel pump's check valve. I have to turn my ignition on and off twice before there is enough pressure to start mine. My fuel pump is fine, but the check valve is weak and lets the fuel drop back into the tank. I'm working on installing an external check valve to see if I can solve the problem.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Check your ballast resistor for continuity, jumper if broken or wire a ground to FP relay connector 85 (orange black wire) to run the pump continuously in ignition on position.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by al2ride
Remove the gas cap and listen while someone turns the ignition to on. You should hear it come on for a few seconds and then turn off. If it does not come on, swap out the fuel pump relay with one of the others...I belive the starter relay is the same one as the fuel pump. If it does come on, then you have a problem with the fuel pump's check valve. I have to turn my ignition on and off twice before there is enough pressure to start mine. My fuel pump is fine, but the check valve is weak and lets the fuel drop back into the tank. I'm working on installing an external check valve to see if I can solve the problem.
With the retaining valve not working properly the FP should turn the same.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mixed89
the pump does come on for about 4 seconds after key is turned on to charged fuel rail. I here mine easily.
It depends on the timing of the switch on/off sequence. Four seconds is the maximum time, it can be also 3, 2, 1,and even less than one depending on how much time you wait in ignition OFF position before re-switching to ignition ON. To have the pump to turn for 4s always you have to wait at least 6-8 seconds in ignition off.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok i think i found it when i turn on the key i cant hear the fuel pump but my friend was behind the car and heard the fuel pump making a very low variable (high-low) noise when i swapped out the fuel pump relay with the one next to it the fuel pump was loud and steady so i just replaced all four relays in that bank for the heck of it and it works great now. The XJ fires up on the first try now. Thanks everyone for your help
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Year: 1998

Ok i think i found it when i turn on the key i cant hear the fuel pump but my friend was behind the car and heard the fuel pump making a very low variable (high-low) noise when i swapped out the fuel pump relay with the one next to it the fuel pump was loud and steady so i just replaced all four relays in that bank for the heck of it and it works great now. The XJ fires up on the first try now. Thanks everyone for your help
It's good to hear a happy ending