Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'89 XJ Factory Fog Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default '89 XJ Factory Fog Wiring

I installed a JY fog lamp switch and attached the plug I found behind it. I'm assuming this was the location of the factory fog lights which I don't have. I'm going to install some LED fog lights within the next few days and would like to utilize the factory wiring. Anyone know where under the hood or in the front end I might find the wiring this switch is powering?

It's the switch on the left, under the red rocker switch:

Old 03-17-2016, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

under the headlights in between the valence panel and the bumper. its usually tucked away pretty good. will be a small blade style plug. dont forget to get the fog light relay to put in to the fuse fox
Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
under the headlights in between the valence panel and the bumper. its usually tucked away pretty good. will be a small blade style plug. dont forget to get the fog light relay to put in to the fuse fox
Searched and have found a single plug as you describe. It's on the passenger side. I expected to find two. Not powered when switch is in "on" position. Where is the relay location?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 PM

I had to get the new fog/driving lights wired and I didn't care for the factory wiring allowing operation of said lights only when the headlights are on, so...

Using the factory switch I left the ground in place, but wired power into the switch by piggybacking off the "acc" plug in the top left corner of the cabin fuse block. The new wire is the red one, I have no idea where the other wire goes or what it powers:

I then ran a "power out" of the factory switch through the speedo cable grommet to the location of my new relay in the engine compartment just forward of the windsheild washer tank. The new relay and fuse holder have bright green stickers on them. There is an existing relay toward the bottom of the photo. Rather than running a wire from the battery to the new relay, I piggybacked with an inline fuse off the "power in" from the existing relay next to it. Anyone know what this existing relay provides power to?:

Now I have eye-catching driving lights, that can be turned on as long as the ignition is "on", and with the amber covers removed will provide lots of additional, and directional trail lighting.