Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring new interior lights

Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Wiring new interior lights

Hey guys-

I'm looking to finally add some interior lights to my junkyard warrior (98 XJ, 2 door). I picked a few up at the JY the other day:

middle light in a soundbar, 96 XJ. Going in the back

was a rear dome light from a 96 ZJ, moving it to the front

I want to have the rear dome light from a 96 ZJ installed in the front, and a soundbar with a domelight from a 96 XJ installed in the back. the ZJ dome light has 2 toggles and a center light.

I would like the lights to work with the vehicle off.

upon doing some research (and checking my haynes manual for some electrical diagrams) it seems im at a loss. I know I need a constant going to each, and then some sort of toggled ground, but I'm confused on how to physically wire these guys in. my door switches show a yellow, black, and black with a blue tracer. can someone lend me some guidance?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That second pic looks like the front dome light from the base model ZJ or 97/98+ XJ. In any case that's the module that would've been in the front of the 98 as stock. I'm assuming the stock wiring is missing or you would've just plugged it in!

The site below has all the wiring diagrams for a 2000 (in the form of the FSM). The 98 XJ, 00 XJ, and all ZJs use the same interior lighting parts. Once the front one is figured out, the rear should be easy, despite the purple wire.

link removed. not here to cause problems. it's one I've used. didn't realize it was an illegal file or anything.

Last edited by akasnajo; 02-21-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:42 AM

yeah the stock wiring was all gutted out when I first biought it. No interior trim, everything rhino lined. I'm assuming that I need a constant, a ground, and a toggled ground (or positive) for the door switches. If thats the case, Shouldn't the door switches just have 2 wires- one ground in, and that same ground wire out? I'm confused what the third is.

This diagram is helpful, but it still only shows 2 wires in the door switches, a yellow and a black. What type of tests can I run to make sure I wire this correctly?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I wouldn't follow some suspect posted link when you can purchase a legal copy of the FSM for $7.95
http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/1...ce_manual.html
Old 02-21-2016, 08:55 PM

Wired it all up today, everything works good.

I ignored the black wire with the blue tracer on the door switch. I could not find it anywhere in any wiring diagram. the yellow connects with the yellow, the black connects with the black, and the pink is a constant. The lights circuit completes through the window switch housing, so you don't need to run separate grounds.

I'm still wondering what that second black wire is... I found out that while both switches have 3 wires coming out, the passenger side had a harness and only 2 wires came out of it. Maybe its for the door chimes...?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

glad you got it working. I don't know what the third wire is for either.

Last edited by akasnajo; 02-21-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by moparchero
Wired it all up today, everything works good.

I ignored the black wire with the blue tracer on the door switch. I could not find it anywhere in any wiring diagram. the yellow connects with the yellow, the black connects with the black, and the pink is a constant. The lights circuit completes through the window switch housing, so you don't need to run separate grounds.

I'm still wondering what that second black wire is... I found out that while both switches have 3 wires coming out, the passenger side had a harness and only 2 wires came out of it. Maybe its for the door chimes...?

You mean that you found nothing in the FSM from pacificcoastmanuals.com for your year on the wiring only $7.95. In my 99 manual it sure shows it!