Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Renix New Problem! Hard Start When Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 Renix New Problem! Hard Start When Hot?

okay so the jeep was good all day, then did a bunch of running around after work and all of a sudden when the jeep is hot it is real hard to start but not like a no or weak spark issue, its more like a drained battery issue just a slower crank. Went and had the charging system checked and it all checked out good?! Any ideas oh great ones of jeep knowledge!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Guntar13
okay so the jeep was good all day, then did a bunch of running around after work and all of a sudden when the jeep is hot it is real hard to start but not like a no or weak spark issue, its more like a drained battery issue just a slower crank. Went and had the charging system checked and it all checked out good?! Any ideas oh great ones of jeep knowledge!
starter if you mean turning over slowley
Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Could be your cps(crank position sensor) wouldnt be a bad idea to check and replace
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM

starter maybe, CPS maybe, uuugggghhhhh! starter checked out decent when tested, not perfect but not bad either, anybody have the test procedure for the CPS I've heard that the ohm test is not very accurate. Also would the factor of heat factor into the starter, and the CPS sensor
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

starter maybe, CPS maybe, uuugggghhhhh! starter checked out decent when tested, not perfect but not bad either, anybody have the test procedure for the CPS I've heard that the ohm test is not very accurate. Also would the factor of heat factor into the starter, and the CPS sensor
Wen ur cps gets hot it could begin to fail

U should be able to ohm test it just fine pull the cps and check the tip of the cps if its worn replace it
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

I just replaced my cps last week cost $37
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by freegdr
starter if you mean turning over slowley
Yea^. If your battery and connections are good and it's trying. Besides the two on the battery there are the connections at the starter, and the ground one. If it works with a jump, might be your battery is done after all, or maybe just it's connections. Also btw, a half-a$$ connection will sometimes get really hot while cranking it. Does sound like the starter though.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

slower crank is starter
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

He said that is wasnt weak or anything he said that wen it was hot it would only take longer so I thought the cps just my thought
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by stev-o
He said that is wasnt weak or anything he said that wen it was hot it would only take longer so I thought the cps just my thought
You would be right Steve going straight to checking the the CPS with a Renix starting issue if you had a meter. Just gotta have it cranking right first.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

If ur starter is weak on u just replace it with a new one from autozone
I have a brand new starter from autozone and they make a nice starter with a lifetime warranty
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM

well looks like I'm looking at a starter! After sitting all night it started up normal, well normal ish! not as bad as it was yesterday. I did get under there and all the connections were good, not coroded, and low and behold its the factory starter that who knows how many times has been oil soaked from that da*n filter location!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out it’s mounting holes with the first drill bit that just won’t fit through the original holes. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 11-29-2011
Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

I like this one because you can just click on the thumbnails to blow up Pics of the oil filter adapter O rings. (they harden) My sensor never leaked, I hear they do as well though. http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-rep...filter-adapter
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 AM

thank you flinstone for the reply, those seals were the first thing i fixed when i got the jeep due to them leaking really badly, now its bone dry!

Cruiser, I know youve been around the block a few with these jeeps, do you think that the CPS could be a cluprit but only when its getting hot? like i said when its cooled off it starts normal, but when its been driven for a while and shut down then restarted its as if the battery is drained, just a much slower crank time.

BTW: Went to three other places and had the charging system checked and it checked good every time.

Quick Reply: 89 Renix New Problem! Hard Start When Hot?