Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4 inch lift suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 4 inch lift suggestions

Im going to lift my stock xj 4-4.5 inches. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Links would be nice. Im trying to stay as cheap as possible as well..
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

Im currently doing the same thing.

What im trying to figure out is how much lift f150 coils or grand cherokee coils actually give you.

heres my thread
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/iso...s-lifts-50010/
in here it says f150 coils will add 4-4.5 inches

heres a great write up on a budget lift
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm
here it says f150 coils will add 2" but to use grand cherokee coils cause they flex better and will add the same amount

I have also read on this forum that grand cherokee coils only add 1"... so thats where im at. Just need to figure out what spings do what and if I'll need a spacer.

I already have my dakota leaf packs to make a bastard pack (BP) for the 4inches in the rear and will be getting rough country nitro 9000 shocks ($120 though topguncustomz on ebay for all 4) and using yj brake lines.

Looks like you already have lifted cherokees?! My first response is why another lol, and why do you need info?

I've also been informed that a sye is a must with '91 and newer cherokees over 3" but I can get away with it on my '89 without, although it will still be added in the future.

You didnt say if u wanted a full "name brand kit" or what so this is just what I'm doing and it will be cheap.

gl
Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by darknezz

What im trying to figure out is how much lift f150 coils or grand cherokee coils actually give you.

heres my thread

here it says f150 coils will add 2" but to use grand cherokee coils cause they flex better and will add the same amount

I have also read on this forum that grand cherokee coils only add 1"... so thats where im at. Just need to figure out what spings do what and if I'll need a spacer.

I already have my dakota leaf packs to make a bastard pack (BP) for the 4inches in the rear and will be getting rough country nitro 9000 shocks ($120 though topguncustomz on ebay for all 4) and using yj brake lines.

Looks like you already have lifted cherokees?! My first response is why another lol, and why do you need info?

I've also been informed that a sye is a must with '91 and newer cherokees over 3" but I can get away with it on my '89 without, although it will still be added in the future.

You didnt say if u wanted a full "name brand kit" or what so this is just what I'm doing and it will be cheap.

gl

SYE not always necesary on anything, 96+ they are required more because they switched up the back of the t-case a bit.

f-150s = 3.5ish
v-8 GC coils = .75ish
v-8 gc coils (with up country suspention package) =1.75ish
Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
SYE not always necesary on anything, 96+ they are required more because they switched up the back of the t-case a bit.

f-150s = 3.5ish
v-8 GC coils = .75ish
v-8 gc coils (with up country suspention package) =1.75ish
oh god not another height, well now ive got 1", 2", 3.5", 4" and 4.5" on the ford coils lol

Are you fairly positive on those heights?
and that is only late 70's f150/bronco coils correct? a 89 or 90 bronco coil will not work?

and oh my bad i thought it was 91's+ but thats right its when they used the chrysler 8.25 in the 96+'s huh. I just know anything more than 8 degrees on your drive shaft is a no-no and have also read even if you dont "feel" vibration and think you dont need a sye your still putting extra stress on the t-case.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

positive on GC coils

70s coils neted my buddys xj 3.5in. rides rough little rough

ive tried many combos and weird coils. I did a jeep with some 72 chevelle malibu rear coils i had laying around and got 3.5. They dont set well and rides a rough but hey its lifted.

I would just buy xj lift coils, new coils can be had for like 140 shipped, or craigs list is a good option. Got my 6.5in rc coils for 60$ new in box off of cl

Trust me i am a very cheap person, if you dont believe me check out my build page ------v
Old 07-07-2010, 11:43 PM

hah i actually just read through your whole build page, jesus your creating a freaken tank! I love it!

Im to poor (not neccesarily cheap) to pay 140 just for coils. I have an add on craigs list calling out anyone that has coils to lift my jeep around 4 inches so I'll see how that goes. But *** of now I think I'm still down to the f150 coils and a puck to even the front and back.

so all 70's f150's and bronco 4x4's then?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

i think so.

not a tank, just my dd

wheeler is guna be this winter, might build a trailer hauling xj to
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 AM

well thats one hell of a DD, I envy you for having a welder, a place to use it, and the ambition to do so. I'm currently in an apt and have to go to a friends just to change my oil

for now a cheap 4" lift is my big step, I'm doing my fender trimming this week-end too
I've barley even got to trail her much yet
Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

the have welders and night classes at community colleges. my bumper was built with a 4in grinder and a borrowed welder. be resourceful.

Dont think of reasons why you cant but ways you can, will get ya a lot firther
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
Dont think of reasons why you cant but ways you can, will get ya a lot firther
you sound like my treatment counselor

but no that is really good advice and like i said you are a very ambitious, resourceful and creative person, me not so much.

right now like i said though im in no position to me able to work on projects like that whenever I want nor do I have the money or friends to get the equipment and materials to do so. the best I can do right now is do my fender trimming with my sawzaw and my cheapie lift.

oh and I took welding 1 and 2 along with cnc shop and cad in highschool and then more cad in college so its not my knowledge stopping me its my resources and motivation.

after I do my trimming, lift and tires im going to focus on the many other issues it has, like my my leaking manifold gasket.... along with making the engine run better and be more dependable for the long run. thinking about throwing some new rod bearing in next oil change pending it not being to difficult. i've only done it in 4 bangers before but i dont think it would be much different.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by darknezz

heres my thread

gl
ya i have two already.. the one with the 6 inch lift was bought that way.. i put the kit on the other and now the old lady drives it so now i have a stock jeep and a trail jeep to my own... i looked into making my own kit but because this jeep will be a DD i would prefer a "name brand kit". And i have been told to run the lift without the SYE first so i dont go out and buy something not needed.. apparently its so boarder line at 4 inch's that it just depends on the jeep...
Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 AM

well then theres allways something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-02...Q5fAccessories

you kinda need to say your budget for opinions, also your right on the sye that they dont all need it, but in the long run its putting less stress on parts if you do or if you plan on going bigger.

And ive read plenty that a BP is just as good as anything, certainly better than a AAL. As far as ride quality. Prolly go with new lift springs, new shocks, and make a BP if I was you and lca's if you have the money. Me Im looking for a $200 lift with the RC shocks, f150 coils and spacers if needed and a Dakota BP, along with the brake lines. I'll be removing my front sway bar too and it should be too rough of a ride.

If you really have the money I've hard iron rock is really good. Been reading bad things about RE.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 PM

i have a 94 cherokee se and i was wondering if i bought a 4" lift would i have to do anything extra? like my buddy tried to put an 8" lift on his bronco but the drive shafts were to short. so if i get a 4" suspension lift will it just bolt on without any extra work? thanks for all the help
Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Year: 2000
Thumbs up whats up guys i got you

im runing 4.5 rubicon express coils with my stock arms fox shocks and a pro comp track bar i love it check my pics