Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2001 xj headliner replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2001 xj headliner replacement question

Hello all,

I have seen many threads concerning headliner replacement, but I haven't been able to find any help with a 2001. I need to pull my headliner down to replace the fabric and I was hoping to get some help on how to get the ceiling lights and speakers down and out of the way. I don't see an obvious way to remove them, and I don't want to break anything.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

You have to remove all the plastic trim inside around the roof and the sound bar will come out, depending on id you have an overhead console or not there are little metal clip thingys under the cover that hold the lights up.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Thank you very much! I'm going to check that out now.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 liter

I just did my headliner (2000 Cherokee Sport) a couple months ago. If they're similar....

the little hand loops above the doors have to come off, pop the little plastic covers out of the ends and it takes a torx bit to remove the screws and then the hand loops pull off.

Remove every visible screw in the rear trim (top and sides) and then they still "pop out/off" in order to remove them. I don't remember if the rear light has screws under the lens or not. If so remove the lens and then remove the screws. Once you get it out of the headliners unplug the wires on it, too.

The covers on the rear speakers just pop off if you grab them and pull/twist. Then it seems like there are 3 or 4 screws that hold the speakers in place, hold it, drop it down and unplug the wires.

Remove the sun visors (three screws in each one). If you have the lighted mirrors drop the mirror down and pull gently on the wires while wiggling to get the plug to pull through the opening and then unplug them.

The light over the front seats has to come off. Remove the lens and the screws under it and the housing should come on down enough to unplug the wires.

Once you've popped the plastic trim off above the doors/windows the head liner should be ready to work out of there.

Gently work the edges up over the metal edges of the interior/roof (at this point its good to have a couple folks so you can better support the headliner as you work it down (you sure don't want it to break). You'll need the hatch open so you can hand the headliner out the back once you get it loose from the roof.

Putting it back in is the reverse of removing it. The worst part was reinstalling the sunvisors (getting the brackets in the right place and right orientation to have the screws hit the holes.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions! Sorry for the delayed thanks; things got a little crazy for a while. Anyways, thank you again!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L V6

how long did that headliner replacement job take, as well as how much was all the materials?

I'm torn between attempting to do it or just paying someone to do it.

How much should that be?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 liter

I did mine over a couple of days but it didn't take all day either day. It was pretty darn hot out there even under the shade trees.

We took everything out the first day and scraped the old foam off the headliner "board". The next morning we sprayed the glue on the head liner and put the new material on it. We did that a section at a time so we could work with the cloth/foam liner to keep it smooth and running straight. Once we got the material on we let it sit for a couple of hours to dry better before we put it back in.

The hardest part to keep wrinkle free (and I didn't on one side) is the cloth between the speaker "bumps" and the rear edge of the headliner.

The headliner cloth was about $45 if I remember correctly and it took two cans of the spray on glue which were about $12 or $13 each.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM

I did my sons, went to walmart and got some light weight fabric, cost about $4, and the spray on glue, we used 3M Super Trim Adhesive, its been up now about 5 months and still looks great.

Here`s a how to..

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutoria...headliner.html
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L V6

that's great stuff, how much would I expect to pay someone professionally if I was feeling lazy about it?