Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Cam Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Cam Position Sensor

Yesterday I was doing some maintenance on my 2000. I noticed a loose part above the oil filter. Researched it and it looks like its my camshaft position sensor. A few turns on one bolt tightened it down. I have had no noticeable driving issues. This sensor was quite loose and pivoted left and right. Does it matter that it was moving around.... Is this supposed to be positioned in a particular way?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TuffMdr
Yesterday I was doing some maintenance on my 2000. I noticed a loose part above the oil filter. Researched it and it looks like its my camshaft position sensor. A few turns on one bolt tightened it down. I have had no noticeable driving issues. This sensor was quite loose and pivoted left and right. Does it matter that it was moving around.... Is this supposed to be positioned in a particular way?
You should be good. The computer takes over from there to detect and handle the advance Etc. from that initial setting.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 AM

Yeah I don't really understand that part bit I thought that it had to do with timing and that turning it might adjust the timing or idle.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:00 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah I don't really understand that part bit I thought that it had to do with timing and that turning it might adjust the timing or idle.
Well in the old days it would adjust the ignition timing. But now as long as you have it on the right tooth in the cam drive and "close" to the proper position the computer adjusts it's self to compensate for small differences in that setting.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Well in the old days it would adjust the ignition timing. But now as long as you have it on the right tooth in the cam drive and "close" to the proper position the computer adjusts it's self to compensate for small differences in that setting.
it was turning pretty freely about an inch either direction. Not sure how long it had been loose. I just angled it a little towards the fender and tightened it down. It's driving fine. If it were "off" position would I get misfires? I read a thread that talked about calibrating with TDC and a set points on the sensor. That's why I was concerned.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

it was turning pretty freely about an inch either direction. Not sure how long it had been loose. I just angled it a little towards the fender and tightened it down. It's driving fine. If it were "off" position would I get misfires? I read a thread that talked about calibrating with TDC and a set points on the sensor. That's why I was concerned.
I tested mine out of curiosity and re-positioned it a whole tooth either way and the computer compensated for it just fine. So it is probably good anywhere within the adjustment range you have there. I would just put it in the middle of your available range there and it should be fine. It's when you remove it from the engine block and put it back you might have problems with TDC setting. If you didn't pull it out and it is running fine you are good.