Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cam Position Sensor ticking?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Good ol' 4.0
Question Cam Position Sensor ticking?

Hey guys, new to the sight and just recently picked up a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L with 108,XXX miles . When i first bought the truck it ran quite and smooth. Now it has developed a tick, I changed the oil and introduced 20% Lucas with no noticeable improvement. When there was no change I got out the stethoscope tracked the tick down to the Cam Position Sensor. Does this component actually have the ability to develop the tick or is it transferring sound from something else? I understand that it is driven by the oil pump shaft and would like to see what you guys think. Any help would be appreciated, it might save me a lot of time and headaches.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

my 2000 has about 95K miles and had the same thing. It drove me nuts and I thought I had lifter tick because I could hear it from the inside. Just as you describe I found the Cam sensor to be the source of the tick. I'm not really sure what caused it to tick. Being busy with school and having limited tools I had to take it to the dealership. They installed a new Camshaft Position Sensor as well as a new Oil Pump drive, and the tick is gone. Ran me about $250 with labor to fix it, which I was happy with because before I found out it was the sensor the tick was getting really loud. My friend could hear it while sitting in his truck with the windows down.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: Good ol' 4.0

Well at least i know that someone on here has the same issue. I thought it was a lifter at first until i figured out where it was coming from. I would really like to know what is involved with replacing the oil pump drive before i take it off. I have a factory service manual and called the service dept. at the local jeep dealer and still cant find a straight explanation of how it works. Ive searched all over the net also with no luck. I know that 8 posts doesn't carry much weight but everyone has to start some where. So If anyone has any input/experience with this it would be great.