Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 RENIX misfire backfire on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 RENIX misfire backfire on acceleration

Hello, I was on here last summer try in to figure out what's wrong with my jeep. Winter is over here I go again.

1990 jeep cherokee (Pioneer)
W/1987 4.0L engine
Automatic aw4
Lifted 3 inches
33 inch tires
No muffler duals from the cat back 2.25
Replaced stock air filter box with cone filter(spectre)
4 off road lights on roof 2 in grille
Cb radio

Replaced:
Plugs
Wires
Coil
Cap
Rotor
Tps
Fuel filter
Fuel regulator
Refreshed all grounds
Upgraded ground cables
O2 sensor

Exhaust manifold is cracked at the #6 cylinder about an inch above the o2 sensor on the weld

Electric fan is basically bypassed with a wire at the sensor, so its on as soon as I start it and it stays on

If I turn my heat on or any of my aftermarket lights my voltage drops, probably need a bigger alternator

Now what it's doing:

Start ignition:
Takes about 2-3 seconds to fire

Engine starting:
Starts off just a tad rough for like a second, before regulator was put on it would run rough for like 5-10 seconds, clears up very quickly now

Idling:
Has a slight fluctuation in idle better now that I replaced the o2, but still there

Put it in drive:
Now if I try to take of normally it'll start missing and backfiring out of the exhaust, like some firecrackers or something,

Now if I just slightly depress the gas pedal I can get it to move quite nicely, until I get to about the top of the gear and it will do it again, I have to floor it to get through the crappyness until I'm up to my desired speed, it will cruise just fine until I let my foot of it will act all crazy again doing the same exact thing, sometimes it will go down a gear and then back up. It seems to be at the top of each gear it does this.

I can also get it to do the backfire misfire thing in park but it seems to only be a small portion of the throttle it does this.

I did get a new CPS I tried to slide the sensor part up the bar farther to the passenger side of the vehicle, I'm going to be replacing it with a regular one soon, could this be causing all my havoc? Possibly because of my cracked exhaust manifold?

Anyone that can steer me in the right direction that'd be great, I love this thing I need to get it running good

And could air in the cooling system of my RENIX cause this?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

If the crack in the manifold is big enough it can result in more oxygen being detected at the o2 sensors, which would enrich the fuel ratio and could cause the issue you are describing.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
If the crack in the manifold is big enough it can result in more oxygen being detected at the o2 sensors, which would enrich the fuel ratio and could cause the issue you are describing.
That's what I thought, it seems to be running rich TAILPIPES ARE SOOTY REALLY BAD already have the new manifold and gasket, putting it on this weekend hopefully.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Its like 30 degrees in Michigan today so I was only out there for a minute, I tested the flat 3 wire connector at the tps, I put my DVM red lead on the middle wire B, and and put the black lead on the negative battery post, I got 1.6, I tested it in ohms lowest setting, DID I DO THAT RIGHT, if I did that's to high right?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

You may be well-benefited from reading through Cruiser54's awesome RENIX tips. You will find a good methodology towards getting the TPS adjusted, and a whole lot more.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/
Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Did you do my Tips 3,4,and 5?

Do those and then adjust your TPS per Tip 8.

Intake manifold bolts snug?

Look at this line also:
Attached Thumbnails 1990 RENIX misfire backfire on acceleration-tb-map-tube-2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 08:15 PM

Yeah I've done 3,4,5. Today I did test the TPS I'm getting 4.78 for my reference voltage so I set the input to .81 I couldn't adjust it any further there was no more room left, it's tilted at an angle to me it doesn't seem right but I guess it could be.

Any input on this people?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:17 PM

And adjusting it didn't change one bit
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM

Well, if 5 was okay, what was the ohms reading?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 PM

I don't remember the exact reading, I know it was really close to 0 ohms and I wiggled every wire harness I could especially by the valve cover, all the wires near the firewall, TPS wires pretty much everything I could reach, didn't fluctuate at all.

I'm starting to move towards the fuel pump I'm pulling it tomorrow to check the rubber line in there
Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 90renixxj
I don't remember the exact reading, I know it was really close to 0 ohms and I wiggled every wire harness I could especially by the valve cover, all the wires near the firewall, TPS wires pretty much everything I could reach, didn't fluctuate at all.

I'm starting to move towards the fuel pump I'm pulling it tomorrow to check the rubber line in there
Not a bad idea....
Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 PM

So I pulled the fuel pump out today, the rubber line is in ok shape kinda mushy still together tho, I'll replace the rubber line anyways tomorrow and there was no sock screen on the pump.

Is there a way to test the fuel pump to make sure it's good?

Not really sure what I'm gonna check next
Old 05-03-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 90renixxj
So I pulled the fuel pump out today, the rubber line is in ok shape kinda mushy still together tho, I'll replace the rubber line anyways tomorrow and there was no sock screen on the pump.

Is there a way to test the fuel pump to make sure it's good?

Not really sure what I'm gonna check next
Not without reinstalling it and checking pressure at the fuel rail.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Some pump install FYI>>

Below is the inside of the tank. The black ring you see is the end of the cone that belongs on the end of the fuel return line on the pump assembly. That cone on the metal line holds the bottom of the whole deal in place. That there should be fished out, and installed on the metal fuel return line on the assembly. Then you seat the cone into the receptacle in the tank when installing it. The fuel return and pickup are located in a tray inside the tank, so return fuel is available to be picked up at the pump inlet, even when the tank is low or at an angle.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:18 PM

I got the screen out and took a crap ton of photos of the inside of the tank there isn't anything else in there that I could see

Quick Reply: 1990 RENIX misfire backfire on acceleration