Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 xj timing issie

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 xj timing issie

I'm checking timing because it won't start and at first I was sitting it on the 0 mark and then I went and looked and the crankshaft sprocket was 180° the wrong direction and I talked to someone I know that's a mechanic and told me just to make sure it's on a compression stroke for the first cylinder I needed to put it back and take out the spark plug and stick my finger in it and feel for air to blow out well I did and then took it back apart and now my bottom right (small sprocket) is not pointing tithe middle like its supposed to and neither is the crankshaft sproket(left one/bug one)
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2015, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I re-read your post at least 4 times and it's still really confusing, why not some punctuation?

Won't start, got spark, how about fuel?

ETA:
This picture should help a lot.

If you rotate the crankshaft on your motor do the marks align? As well if there is slop in the gears & chain it wouldn't hurt to replace them now since it is open.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 03-08-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Okay and sorry I was in a hurry I've had it took apart for too long and I'm frustrated and ticked off
Old 03-08-2015, 07:10 PM

OK I'm there now I got the chain off but how do I rotate the crankshaft sproket so I can get it to point at the camshaft sprocket
Old 03-08-2015, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Stack some washers on the crank shaft bolt so it doesn't bottom in the threads & use a wrench to turn the bolt.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Stack some washers on the crank shaft bolt so it doesn't bottom in the threads & use a wrench to turn the bolt.

Good luck Turbo....
Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Try this:

Setting Your 4.0 at #1 TDC

With #1 spark plug removed, turn the engine over clockwise using the 3/4" front crankshaft bolt. You will see the degree marks on your front cover. Mark the 0 with chalk or white-out. You will see the timing mark on the balancer. Mark it with chalk or white-out. While turning the engine over, put your finger/thumb over #1 spark plug hole. As the mark on the balancer approaches the marks on the front cover, if you are coming up on #1 TDC, pressure in the cylinder will push on your finger. If there's no pressure, you're at #6 TDC and need to crank the engine over until you see the marks coming together and you get pressure. Set the mark on the balancer to the 0 mark on the front cover.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:04 AM

Where do all these folks get this "timing" advice for a no-start? From irresponsible friends and family? Sheesh.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Where do all these folks get this "timing" advice for a no-start? From irresponsible friends and family? Sheesh.
If your not taking major things apart or spending alot of money. Your not fixing it correctly ...Morning Major.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
If your not taking major things apart or spending alot of money. Your not fixing it correctly ...Morning Major.
Thanks for the clarification General. Good morning Sir!!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO why did you pull the timing cover after you posted the youtube video in the other thread? That can be seen https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/01-...-crank-206900/

Did you have fuel and spark?

Was that a new battery that you were talking about in the last post of the other thread?

To answer your question in this thread,
Your crank shaft moves at twice the speed of your cam due to the size of their respective gears. So every time your crank gear goes around once, your cam gear goes around half a turn.

If your crank was on TDC and your cam was 180 out thats fine just turn your crank around one more, WITH THE CAHIN ON.

If your saying your Cam gear was 180 out, you probably werent on TDC.

Your more or less trying to line up the marks and see if they are a tooth or two off, or if there is enough slack in the chain that they wont line up properly.

The above would be how you would address timing. But Id like to move on now and say that there was probably more you should have checked before tearing the timing apart.

HAVE YOU CHECKED FUEL AND SPARK?

Have you grabbed a noid light and checked for injector pulse?

Have you grabbed a spark tester like I suggested in the previous thread?

Have you thrown a fuel pressure gauge on to see what that is?

Again is it a crank-no start or a no crank-no start?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To elaborate on this timing thing further; Did you ever throw that compression gauge on and see what she read?

The computer looks and the crank sensor to see what is going on with the timing.

It is possible and likely that your timing is physically correct but the computer cant tell because the crank sensor is bad.

The easiest way to check physical timing is with a compression gauge if you have proper compression your timing is correct.

I think a lot of us are still lost because the basics have not been covered or posted.

And to the guys that know whats going on and arent helping; Come on guys there is a ton of great info on this site and the guy is asking for help (kinda)

To OP: I realize your frustrated but there might be an easier process. Maybe slow down a bit and cover the basics like we tried to say the first time. I say Get the timing back together and and please try to be more specific and thought out in your post so we can help.

good luck