Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 xj sport purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 01 xj sport purchase help

A dealer that I've bought from before has an 01 xj sport for sale. Reasonably low miles at 142k. Everything is good except for a few small things and the head is cracked. Bad enough I could see coolant flowing when I looked into the top end.

My question is he's asking 4800 for it which isn't a bad deal for an xj of this mileage. However, with its problem what should be a fair price?

He's also one of the best jeep part suppliers and repairers.

So I guess I need two prices, the cost I should pay if he does the work and what I should pay if I buy it as is.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

$4800 if he fixes with some kind of guaruntee no other damage(brgs, etc)
$2400 if not.

JMHO, you're still in the rust belt. My son got his 00 3yrs ago for $4k, about same milage.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

4800 with a cracked head??
ya i'd be deciding how much you want to add to have the whole motor gone thru to make sure nothing below has seen the effects of said leak (as noted above, bearings etc)

wow you guys pay a lot down in the States..
i picked up my '99 for $1000, dropped another $1000 to get it safetied.... 230,000 km (so about the same as yours in mileage)
Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Larry's XJ
$4800 if he fixes with some kind of guaruntee no other damage(brgs, etc)
$2400 if not.

JMHO, you're still in the rust belt. My son got his 00 3yrs ago for $4k, about same milage.
Usually a cracked head would make me walk away immediately but with the exception of a few spots everything is solid in terms of rust. One of the best I've seen in my area besides the one I'm driving now.

Thanks for the pricing thought. I appreciate the guidance.

Last edited by Rcrivolio; 02-24-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Its worth $1,000 and not a penny more with a cracked head.

Have him fix the head if he wants anything near $4,000.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Good advice given above.

You MUST factor in a complete engine swap or rebuild for fairly valuating this XJ. An 0331 cracked head unfortunately results in coolant mixed with oil which results in toasted bearings if not caught very quickly, which means rebuild the engine or swap in a different one. It's great that the vehicle is a solid one as far as rust goes and that is an important factor, but you don't want to put so much coin into the drivetrain that you are so very upside down in valuation. It's just not worth it.

The problem is solidly diagnosed. And the prognosis is pretty serious. Don't fool yourself in that you can put a head on it and live happily ever after. Not likely. The fact that he is asking $4800 for it when it has this known problem illustrates to me that you have a seller that has been making meth with Walter White in an RV. He is not likely going to go down to a reasonable price.

There are more than a few XJs out there. 98-99 is the sweet spot. Unless this guy has a change of heart and is willing to seriously sharpen the pencil, keep looking.

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-24-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Good advice given above.

You MUST factor in a complete engine swap or rebuild for fairly valuating this XJ. An 0331 cracked head unfortunately results in coolant mixed with oil which results in toasted bearings if not caught very quickly, which means rebuild the engine or swap in a different one. It's great that the vehicle is a solid one as far as rust goes and that is an important factor, but you don't want to put so much coin into the drivetrain that you are so very upside down in valuation. It's just not worth it.

The problem is solidly diagnosed. And the prognosis is pretty serious. Don't fool yourself in that you can put a head on it and live happily ever after. Not likely. The fact that he is asking $4800 for it when it has this known problem illustrates to me that you have a seller that has been making meth with Walter White in an RV. He is not likely going to go down to a reasonable price.

There are more than a few XJs out there. 98-99 is the sweet spot. Unless this guy has a change of heart and is willing to seriously sharpen the pencil, keep looking.
I have a 98 now and if I could find another "low mileage" 98-99 I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I guess I'll just have to see if he'll take my offer or work with me on a rebuild. I wouldn't turn down getting this body with a rebuilt motor for $4k.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcrivolio
I have a 98 now and if I could find another "low mileage" 98-99 I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I guess I'll just have to see if he'll take my offer or work with me on a rebuild. I wouldn't turn down getting this body with a rebuilt motor for $4k.
That may be a workable number. But if he rebuilds the motor and you still have a factory 0331 head on there (not a TUPY), you are possibly going to be going down this road again with another cracked cylinder head. Wanna do that? If he works with you on a rebuild, gotta be a TUPY or something like a Clearwater head.

I still think this guy isn't going to deal with your $4k offer and a rebuild. Asking $4800 as is now vs $4000 with a rebuilt engine is is too much of a delta for this clown.

Keep us updated. And yes, keep looking! Gotta be tough on the deal. Or you will regret it. I'm playing "devils advocate" for you here.

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-24-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
That may be a workable number. But if he rebuilds the motor and you still have a factory 0331 head on there (not a TUPY), you are possibly going to be going down this road again with another cracked cylinder head. Wanna do that? If he works with you on a rebuild, gotta be a TUPY or something like a Clearwater head.

I still think this guy isn't going to deal with your $4k offer and a rebuild. Asking $4800 as is now vs $4000 with a rebuilt engine is is too much of a delta for this clown.

Keep us updated. And yes, keep looking! Gotta be tough on the deal. Or you will regret it. I'm playing "devils advocate" for you here.
I appreciate the advocacy! Haha. I've done lots of business with him. So I trust he isn't trying to screw anyone. He seemed legitimately surprised when I pointed it out to him. And I agree and the tupy head, I'd ask that that would require it to be that head.

Always looking for another jeep