Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 XJ Slow Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 XJ Slow Start

Over the past two or three weeks I've noticed a hesitation, longer and weaker crank time when starting my 01 XJ Sport. The battery is older and I do have a healthy size aftermarket Radio setup installed (Speaker and Sub Amp). With the weather becoming a bit colder it just seems to be getting worse even though in the Summer months I never really had too much of a problem.

I recently changed the plugs on my Wifes 00 XJ Classic and noticed a huuuge difference with startup and idle. Her plugs were chaulk full of carbon and the gap was a hair shy of .050

Regardless, I'm going to change the plugs on mine (it's due for it anyway). The Heat Shield Tech/Fix is already on its way to handle the #3 Cylinder/Injector Heat soak issue. Anything else to look out for? I think I'm going to upgrade the battery as well. It's always been far weaker (Cranking Amps, than my Wifes 00 Classic and my brothers 00 Sport).

What's funny is that all three XJ's have ended up with the same problems over the course of a few years. Drivers Side Window door lock problem, small Evap leak and #3 misfire codes. I'm just happy these are common problems with a wealth of tech articles online

Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Replacing the battery will probably make a world of difference.

And when you do that, clean all your grounds and battery terminals until they are shiny.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I agree with 1996sportXJ that you should start with a new battery and clean all engine grounds. Then see where you are at.
================================================== ======
Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea, and the investment of your time in this procedure is always well worth it!

You can't tell much of anything by looking at ground connections!! You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. Be sure to remove all paint from any ground connections.

Start with the one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall, as it deteriorates over time and is an area that makes it susceptible to damage. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 PM

I have had similar problems with my 01, dead battery when I got it, weak cranking even with the battery charged. So I dropped a new battery in and still had the same weak cranking, so not the battery.
In checking around this forum, I think it was this one, I came accross a piece on cleaning up and changing the brushes on a starter and how much of an improvement was found by a couple brushes.
So this started me thinking about doing the same thing to my starter.
It just happened that I ran into a guy who owns an automotive rebuilding company and had a discussion with him about things starter. I will be sending him mine to have it rebuilt, $60-$100. I could get the parts from him and do it myself but i figure that for that price I will let the pros do it.
My point in all this is get your battery tested before you replace it as it could be just a worn starter!
I am sure that there is a rebuilder some place in your area who could do a rebuild for a reasonable price. I am one who thinks that fixing/reusing parts to upgrade a part is worth the effort and can save a couple of bucks.
When looking for a rebuilder you can start by calling your local town/city garage and ask them who rebuilds their stuff.
In talking to the gentleman who owned the company he told me that they were just about to start their busy season due the plowing and snow removal season and that the local municipalities needed to have their important equipment available 24/7 and they would travel around dealing with important equipment all winter, he also said that he charged them a pretty penny for the service but that it kept the equipment on the road.
His pricing was $60 for a basic rebuild, $100 including new solenoid and bendix and I could buy a whole new one for $140. rebuild was sameday most of the time.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same exact problem on my 2000 XJ. Weak/slow starting. Voltages show normal. New battery. I cleaned out the starter a few months back but now the problem is back.

I've got a valve cover gasket leak that I haven't gotten around to fixing and I think it's gumming up the starter. I didn't have time to clean it out tonight again nor did I have the Lectra-motive cleaner fluid. But I did refresh the grounds per the tjwalker's post above. Some help but still feels weak.

Hopefully it's not a blown starter. I'm almost positive it's an original starter. I'm going to try one more time to clean out the starter in the next few days to see if it helps and will report back on this thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by Muaddib420
I'm having the same exact problem on my 2000 XJ. Weak/slow starting. Voltages show normal. New battery. I cleaned out the starter a few months back but now the problem is back.

I've got a valve cover gasket leak that I haven't gotten around to fixing and I think it's gumming up the starter. I didn't have time to clean it out tonight again nor did I have the Lectra-motive cleaner fluid. But I did refresh the grounds per the tjwalker's post above. Some help but still feels weak.

Hopefully it's not a blown starter. I'm almost positive it's an original starter. I'm going to try one more time to clean out the starter in the next few days to see if it helps and will report back on this thread.
How many miles are on the original?

I'd get the alternator tested first to rule that out as being the culprit. If it checks out, you may be looking at a new starter. Also, when was your last tune up? If your spark plugs are old and full of carbon, that could cause a weak crank

I'd degrease the engine and do a new valve cover gasket and starter at the same time (if you take off the old starter and bring it into an auto parts store for a new one, it'll cost you less money because of a core charge - O'Reillys is where I found it for cheapest for me $60 or so IIRC)
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this afternoon I'm at the mall alone, it's drizzling and the Jeep doesn't start. It cranks a little but not turning over. Finally somehow get it to crank and head home.

Took out the starter and took it apart to see if it was gummed up with oil from my leaky valve cover gasket and I open it up and smell a burnt metallic smell and see broken bits of copper. Swapped out a refurb starter from advance auto and it starts like a champ. Guess it was its time. Kind of bummed that I just couldn't degrease it but oh well I guess sometimes things just break.

Notice in the pic the broken copper bushing. The piece that had broken off had lodged itself and scratched the heck out of the contacts.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350352332.002798.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  82.0 KB
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stick a fork in it.

At least you won't have to worry about getting stuck (starter wise) anywhere else.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the advice!!! What a bad spot to put a Starter. Is there such a thing as an aftermarket starter shield?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up

had the same problem as you, paid 20 bucks for a used starter and ive been fine ever since.