Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 Classic Door Locks possesed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 01 Classic Door Locks possesed

I have been trying to track down an electrical gremlin that keeps evading me. The doors lock at random when then car ignition is on. I've completly removed the drivers harness and checked for any burrs on the wiring, only had a broken speaker wire, re-routed wiring to allow some slack so I know the harness isn't the problem.

I've been avoiding the problem until last night when we went to the depot store to get some stuff, wife took the keys and unlocked the doors she put the keys in the ignition while I was loading the back, came around to help and shut pass door, well as soon as I shut hatch, She realised pass door had locked. I was stuck trying to unlock door in 20deg weather without a jacket, luckily was able to get something from store to unlock door with, but I told myself this was it... I've gotta get this fixed lol

Here's my issue... tried to find a wiring diagram to try and trace down the problem, but no luck for the lock sytem.... tried searching these forums, but seems like the main cause is the harness on DS door, which I've ruled out.

My Main questions :

1. Does this have a main computer for the remote entry (factory system only) if so where is it located ?

2. Can the DS Door lock switch assmy cause this issue?

3. Are there any other known problem areas where the harness for the lock assmy be grounding out ? Door only seems to lock itself and not unlock itself automatically and only when the keys are in the ignition or on.

Thanks in advance -Joe
Old 02-12-2012, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm really not much help Joe. Sometimes the switch is vulnerable since anytime the door is open in the rain it gets wet. I've changed a few due to that. Same problem with a JY switch. A bud just put one in his Ford pass side. Got his window back, but that lock button doesn't work. He's happy having spent $17. Maybe try changing the drivers switch? Gotta be cheaper than any shop visit, and they might just try that!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do know that the DS power lock/window assmy isn't sending power to the pass side power window switch, the pass window will roll up and down with the DS switch but not the Pass switch unless you send 12v to it from the DS tan wire (IRRC).

My main concern is if there is anything else that could cause this, found evidence of mice under rear seat next to amp, but no evidence of wiring being chewed.

I've noticed the problem mostly at lower speeds when I hit a bump, but for all my banging on the switches I cant reproduce the problem.... another thing I wasn't sure was normal, when I reconnect the battery I can hear the door locks cycle.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the passenger door wiring as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM

I pulled back the rubber boot and checked the wiring where it goes through the door to the chassis and no signs of rubbing, I didn't open up the pass door. I'll take a 2nd look and open the door when I get home. Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

I might gamble $20 on a JY switch. If the problem stays the same, probably your problem is elsewhere else so you could rule that out. Or you fix it. You might even take your meter to the JY and see if there is continuity to that tan wire. There is some info here; http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeXJ
I pulled back the rubber boot and checked the wiring where it goes through the door to the chassis and no signs of rubbing, I didn't open up the pass door. I'll take a 2nd look and open the door when I get home. Thanks
At least once somewhere, (could have been a speaker wire in a door), I had the flexed copper wire break inside the insulation. I could see where because the insulation was....kinky looking.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 PM

Well I managed to trace down one of my gremlins.. took some picks from under the back seat. Seemed my little mouse buddy made a nest under the back seat and chewed on the harness a under the carpet on the driver's side. luckily it was just the insulation so it was easily fixed. I now have a working front left speaker and the wiring to the fuel pump is no longer in danger of shorting out.... however I'm still getting same issue with locks. (Figured out window issue is lockout button, was able to bypass it. Thanks CF ! )

After finding the previous damage the the harness from the mouse, I decided to trace down the whole harness for the doors. I couldn't find any more area's of damaged harness, even removed harness from PS door. I did manage to find my little mouse friend got a little to close to the blower squirrel cage and met his end there.

I am fairly confident that the problem lies in the DS switch assmy or Pass Side.. going to try and scrounge around the local JY's for a good switch and hope that works....

My main questions now are:

What receives the signal from the key faub to unlock to doors? Is there a security controller somewhere?

Has anyone had any luck with these non-oem switch assmy's I see on Ebay for ~100? After searching the forums, seems like there are alot of problems with the switch assmy and finding a good one at a JY might be hard.
Attached Thumbnails 01 Classic Door Locks possesed-jeepfuelpumpwiring.jpg   01 Classic Door Locks possesed-jeepamp.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0
Default My fix for '99 random door locks cycling

Hi,
I hope you have already been able to figure out the problem with your door locks. I had the same problem on my '99 XJ. My problem turned out to be the receiver board for the remote locks (fairly common with the XJ's). The board is located in the dome light assembly or in the over-head console (if yours is so equipped). The bummer is that you will need to have your remote fobs resynched to the new board so grab the fobs that came with the new board if possible.
Take care,
bobm