Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Something other than horn beep when locking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Something other than horn beep when locking?

So I just thought of something that I would like to try if it was easy and cheap enough. I have always disliked that the horn beeps when locking from the fob. One thing I liked about the wj we had was that it could be set to only flash park lights and the beep could be disabled. I did some quick googling but turned up nothing. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly. Idk.

So I would like to wire up a different audio device in place of the horn to the RKE. I'm thinking the easiest way would be to find and pull something from a vehicle at the scrap yard.

So what do u all think? Any ideas or has this been attempted at all?

Possibly even just disable the horn and make it so the park lights flash. That would be especially appreciated when unlocking. Being that sometimes I will try to unlock it for my family when they get to it before me. As if now I need to try and see if the dome light is on. Difficult to do on a sunny day.

Maybe it would be sensless to do but like I said if it was easy and cheap, why not. Just for my own enjoyment of doing something like that.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

There is a "Horn Relay Control" output on the RKE. What year is your xj? Do you have the full overhead console or just the dome light with RKE? Do you have a factory service manual?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

It's an '01. No OHC and I do not have the FSM.

So are you saying it's just one output signal from the RKE that I would need to connect to the audio device of my choice? I'm sure I could figure out which wire it is without the service manual.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

a jeeper and no svc manual?? gives me the creeps. the day after i got my first jp i got the lovely haynes book, then downloaded the real one.
no svc man huh?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

You may be able to "jump" the OBD-II pins on your Jeep's OBD-II port with a paper clip or "jumper" wire (underneath of the dash) and once you figure out which pins program the horn honk, you could possibly program the horn not to honk just like a dealer would with their OBD-II programmer... I'm not sure but I know on the '97 Chevy truck that I have as a project truck I want to add keyless entry and can program a remote using that method and my truck's OBD-II port).

In newer Jeeps, the horn honk is programmable through the EVIC in the overhead console, called 'HORN SOUND W/ LOCK'. I have mine set to 'N' for 'NO' so I won't wake the neighbors if I ever have to come home late at night when everyone's asleep for the night. Unfortunately, that's only possible on the Grand Cherokee WJ of that era.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by 94zj318
You may be able to "jump" the OBD-II pins on your Jeep's OBD-II port with a paper clip or "jumper" wire (underneath of the dash)
I would strongly advise AGAINST doing anything like that. It's too easy to mess up your PCM.

Originally Posted by wizardpc
There is a "Horn Relay Control" output on the RKE.
There ya go. Just disconnect this, and use this output to trigger whatever else you want in its place. Don't cut it, disconnect it. Zip tie the wire conveniently nearby, and label it, in case you want to go back.

If you need help wiring it into the parking lights or something else, give us a holler, or visit www.the12volt.com
Old 05-05-2017, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
a jeeper and no svc manual?? gives me the creeps. the day after i got my first jp i got the lovely haynes book, then downloaded the real one.
no svc man huh?
Well I have the Haynes but I really want the FSM. just haven't gotten around to getting it. I would only need it for wiring diagrams and diagnosing procedures. The Haynes isn't too bad sometimes. I have been able to mostly find info online somewhere.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I would strongly advise AGAINST doing anything like that. It's too easy to mess up your PCM.

There ya go. Just disconnect this, and use this output to trigger whatever else you want in its place. Don't cut it, disconnect it. Zip tie the wire conveniently nearby, and label it, in case you want to go back.

If you need help wiring it into the parking lights or something else, give us a holler, or visit www.the12volt.com

Definitely no F'ing around with the PCM here. I definitely wouldn't ever hack up my wiring. I have learned a lot over the years. although its tedious and I still am not perfect but like to do it as neatly and professional as possible.

And I think it would be cool to power a couple led strobes with the lead instead.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The only other thing I would suggest other than disconnecting the output would be to find a buddy with access to Chrysler programming software, and get them to shut it off with their software.