Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrading Audio Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Upgrading Audio Setup

Evening everyone,

So my next/current project is upgrading the audio in my XJ. Found out that my XJ had the upgraded Infinity package but since its all pretty old I decided to start replacing components. I started by replacing the head unit with the Pioneer DEH-150MP and all 4 factory speakers with Kicker 43DSC504. I'm looking to add a 10" sub to the rear. My question is what should I do in regards to an amp? Is it possible to replace the factory Infinity amp with one that can power the sub as well as the 4 other speakers, if so does anyone have recommendations? I'm not looking for anything to crazy.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The DS Series of Kichler speakers may be able to work with the stock amp, especially since you're not looking to do too much other than make the setup sound better. What are you doing with the tweeters in the doors? If you're looking to upgrade the amp, the higher wattage, the better. I'd suggest adding an Infinity BassLink because you can fit it in a corner and save cargo space (especially with your full-size spare in the back taking up a bit of space) , plus it has a built-in amp, so you can keep the stock Infinity amp, and plug RCA cables right into the back of your aftermarket radio, given that it has 4-channel RCA plug for the main amp AND RCA plugs for a mono (subwoofer) amp. Good luck with your project!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I bought a Subthump.com XJ specific cubby enclosure and put a SoundQubed 8" in it. Sounds pretty good, a slightly overspec'd Pioneer 600w RMS amp pushing it.
http://subthump.com/Jeep-Custom-Subw...Enclosure.html

Space makes bass, and the cubby area is about .35 sq-ft maximum, so a low-volume sealed optimized subwoofer is what you want. It will never really "pound" like my previous Alpine Type-R on 1000w RMS would, but it sounds good for what it is.

I also have a JL Audio 4-channel amp for the speakers, really made the sound come alive. I am running Infiniti Reference coax speakers all around which are a bit bright for my tastes, will probably end up swapping them out in the future.

You could consider a good 5-channel amp, the factory infinity amp is really not that great, maybe 25w RMS to each channel (guesstimate). I have both my amps under the rear bench, plenty of room.