Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket Stereo Replacement HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket Stereo Replacement HELP

I need a little help here. 1994 Cherokee. Previous owner of my jeep installed a single-din Sony stereo and its ugly as sin. I want to replace it with a factory jeep stereo because it matches the interior way better. My question is, will I be able to just grab a replacement stock unit and pop it in, or is the wiring different now after the aftermarket install? The speakers are very good, would the power from the stock amp be enough for no volume/quality loss if i switched back to the OEM unit?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 AM

heres what i'm lookin it. i know it doesnt seem that bad now but when it lights up...hoo boy. The MAIN THING is that every damn time i turn my car off i get these 10 annoying BEEP BEEPS that i've searched endlessly for a way to turn off, and it can't be done. if i could get rid of JUST THAT with the stock unit i'd be a happy boy

Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 AM

i'd be replacing it with this...will this just pop in no questions asked?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Not a stereo guy but that seems like a simple replacement head unit, so most likely it was plug and play or maybe an adapter. But you really won't know for sure until you get behind it.

Whatever floats your boat but that new unit looks fine and to replace that with a 23 year old radio with no CD player wouldn't be my first choice. The audio may not sound as good either. If the beeps annoy you buy a new head unit that doesn't beep. They aren't too expensive.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM

its lights up in the most ignominious 90s honda street-race blue. and like i said if all this could eliminate the beeping, that's a success. i just dont want to trade off a ton of sound quality.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Stock radio will plug right into the wiring in the dash, given that someone (the previous installer, in this case) didn't decide to take a shortcut and decide to spice the factory wiring into the aftermarket radio wiring without a wiring harness adapter. You'll have to figure out which wires go where and find a stock wiring harness if that's the case.

But if you pull the aftermarket radio out and see the stock wiring harness, you're in business, and can just plug into any stock radio that looks like the one you posted above, which will work. Sound quality won't be sacrificed with a stock radio, especially if you've got the stock speakers too.

Hope I could help

-Vince
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by primegreen
i'd be replacing it with this...will this just pop in no questions asked?
Its been a while but were there not tabs that held factory radio in dash with bolts ?
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Stereo Replacement HELP-90986.jpg  

Last edited by freegdr; 06-03-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Heres user manual....https://docs.sony.com/release//CDXGT210.pdf
Old 06-03-2017, 11:29 AM

yeah the mounting plate was used on the aftermarket radio, so once i took that out i just slipped it on the radio. as far as wiring goes, the previous install was done 'right' and used an adapter, and everything went went just about as well as can be. now i have the old radio back in, and before i put it in i opened it up and modded it to install an aux wire into the unit and routed it through the dash and console so it's hidden and comes out near my arm rest instead of hanging down at all times!! overall very happy i did this!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Glad it all turned out well, wasn't expecting you to have to deal with modified wiring.