Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

GPS to save routes offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0HO
Default GPS to save routes offroad?

I hope this is the right place to post but does anyone know a GPS that can use satalite (no phone service where I wheel) and can save the routes of trails I ride on. I'd also like to be able to name the trails that are saved. Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I use just a regular Garmin NUVI with a On X Map CHip. Garmin also makes a off road overland specific gps unit for OHV activities. Go check out ExpeditionPortal.com. Lots of info over there. those guys are map and electronic junkies.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 PM

Engine: I6 4.0HO

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
I use just a regular Garmin NUVI with a On X Map CHip. Garmin also makes a off road overland specific gps unit for OHV activities. Go check out ExpeditionPortal.com. Lots of info over there. those guys are map and electronic junkies.
Will I be able to mark and save my own trails? None of the trails up there are marked. Theyre just old oil rig trails that since then shutdown and rock crawlers go back there and wheel now. I know for a fact the trails will not be marked on a GPS.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Is there an app that has the trail maps preloaded so you can just download the maps where you have phone service and access them without data service? Then you can just buy a suction mount for your phone and you can use it as your GPS.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Look at Magellan TRX7. It is expensive and there is a bit of a learning curve but it will do exactly what you want.

It has like 85,000 trails already and is 'crowd sourced' for adding more.

I have one and used it at EJS in Moab a few weeks ago and it worked better than expected.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by nick.98xj
Will I be able to mark and save my own trails? None of the trails up there are marked. Theyre just old oil rig trails that since then shutdown and rock crawlers go back there and wheel now. I know for a fact the trails will not be marked on a GPS.

GPS units that can save your routes are routine. There are tons of them. Not the in-car navigation kind, like a TomTom, but the kind that hikers use.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i have an old garmin gps map 60c. it's decent, can track and save up to 10 trails. i think the newer map64s can save more, but most handhelds can save tracks. i prefer garmin.
i first bought a top of the line magellan explorist, but returned it for the garmin. couldn't be happier.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

I just got an OBDII device for my 98 ZJ and I bought the Android Torque app to use with it.
The Torque app has something that can record your routes via GPS. I've not used it, but it might be worth looking into. My OBDII device was only 15 bucks and the app was 5.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

OsmAnd for android, I used to use Maverick but they still haven't fixed SD card support on the new Android OS. I've got around 11Gb of cached map tiles. You can save routes, send them, import kml, gpx files etc. All for free. Just keep your phone plugged in and airplane mode will save battery if you know for sure you aren't in service. There are a few decent downloader programs for windows, (Maverick has a good built in one, you'll just have to move stuff from your internal memory to external if you want to store a lot).