Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear Speakers dont work

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Speakers dont work

Really not sure whats going on here.. My rear speakers just don't work. I've tried bypassing the wires, testing the wires from radio to speaker, and jumping the front speaker lines to the rear lines. When I remove the speakers and attach them to another input, they seem to work fine.

My last option is that the radio has no sound on the rear channel. I've never heard of this happening before, but I suppose it's possible. I'm looking for a replacement stock unit that is known to work to test that but have not found anything yet.

Suggestions?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by David Hopkins
When I remove the speakers and attach them to another input, they seem to work fine.
The HU is junk throw it away & never look back.
I'm looking for a replacement stock unit that is known to work to test that but have not found anything yet.
Suggestions?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 PM

What are you trying to say Turbo_XJ? lol..

I'm thinking that I'll start by replacing the HU. After all, it is junk. Maybe I'll throw it away & never look back. ..
Old 04-06-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

sounds like the rear output is toast. I would splice in a set of speakers that you know are good just to be sure (short wires just for testing)--if you have not already done this..
Old 04-06-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Go spend what you are comfortable spending on speakers and a head. the Head and the speakers can go right in the trash.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Ok team.. with that said.. Should I get a 1 din or 2 din head? There are so many to choose from.. What I'm really looking for is BlueTooth to my phone for Google Directions, Phone Calls and Pandora. I don't use CD or Cassett (except for old school wire link to my phone). I've been looking at heads that have just BT and Media. thoughts? I'm not much of a music head (really old and hard of hearing) so it's about being able to hear directions and phone..
Old 04-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99

I just installed a Kenwood KMM-BT315U. For $100it's great and with BT, Pandora and iHeart is pretty nice.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok team.. with that said.. Should I get a 1 din or 2 din head? There are so many to choose from.. What I'm really looking for is BlueTooth to my phone for Google Directions, Phone Calls and Pandora. I don't use CD or Cassett (except for old school wire link to my phone). I've been looking at heads that have just BT and Media. thoughts? I'm not much of a music head (really old and hard of hearing) so it's about being able to hear directions and phone..
Double din will take a bit of modification, I have a clarion pop out tough screen in mine and really like it.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 AM

OK.. New HU is in .. I went with a China special.. $19 shipped. But Im very happy with it at this point.

JSD-20158 Stereo with Blue Tooth, USB.

So. It turns out that one of the rear speakers still does not work.. and if i connect it (wire it in at the back of the radio) the radio cuts out all sound. Probably what was happening with the OEM unit as well. Looks like I'll be pulling at least 2 new speaker runs.

This new HU sounds great, the hands free BT phone works great, and the microphone seems to be decent quality. I thing for me it will do the trick nicely.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Ok.. finally figured out what the deal is. The speaker itself is shorted out. OEM Rear Oxfords in the headliner.. I've run new wires to all 6 speakers at this point, installed new Apline tweeters ($8) and im looking at a set of 6.5 Kickers (40CS654) for the rear.. ($70).. all the info i've found says that they'll fit with only minor mod, and i can still use the factory grate.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok.. finally figured out what the deal is. The speaker itself is shorted out. OEM Rear Oxfords in the headliner.. I've run new wires to all 6 speakers at this point, installed new Apline tweeters ($8) and im looking at a set of 6.5 Kickers (40CS654) for the rear.. ($70).. all the info i've found says that they'll fit with only minor mod, and i can still use the factory grate.
those are the kickers I run front and back, no real modifications needed. you just need to use self tappers to for the new mounting holes, and you cant reuse the original speaker covers but the kicker ones look better IMO

Last edited by PurpleToxin505; 05-20-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
those are the kickers I run front and back, no real modifications needed. you just need to use self tappers to for the new mounting holes, and you can reuse the original speaker covers but the kicker ones look better IMO
Sweet.. done and done.. i'll pick them up shortly.. found a NIB set on eBay for $80 for 4 of them. Win!