Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making front axle perpendicular

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Making front axle perpendicular

What is the best way to ensure the front axle is perpendicular to the unibody ?

I noticed on my cherokee that the front edge of the right spring is actually touching the end of my swaybar while the left side has a gap. With the exception of the spring bowing I do not see a reason for this.

I took a rough measurement from the center of front wheel to center of rear wheel on each side. The passenger side came out about 3/8" longer, which supports my belief that the axle is not perpendicular and more forward on the passenger side.

Assuming the rear axle is perpendicular and the CA brackets are located the same, I dont really see a better way to check this. My Upper and Lower CAs are adjustable and are exactly the same to one another. The brackets do not look bent or twisted. I see no logical reason for this difference. I noticed the lower CA have sliding adjustments on the frame, which by the way are both all the way back to make sure they are equal. Not sure if those are there for this type of adjustment or not.

Right now Im thinking leave the CA the same length and see about shifting the sway bar forward by tapping new mount holes. It is disconnected 95% of time.

Any help appreciated

Last edited by RickJames Bish; 04-04-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:18 PM

Did I ask a stupid question ?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I think this may be normal. Its to compensate for the center of the road being higher. I've read 10mm longer on passenger side which would be about 3/8".
Old 04-07-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
I think this may be normal. Its to compensate for the center of the road being higher. I've read 10mm longer on passenger side which would be about 3/8".
Thanks for the info. Luckily I left it alone with CAs matching in length.

I do have another question though. I set my CAs to the recommended length based of a chart that goes by lift height. This does put my wheels almost perfectly centered in the wheel wells but when tucked the front wheels will rub at the front edge. Im wondering if there is any harm in shortening the CA a bit ? I can adjust to try and keep a good pinion angle but that will remove some of my caster. I drive this daily but only about 4 miles total. The rest of the time its off road. Is there any harm or added stress if I remove some of my caster in this process ?

Last edited by RickJames Bish; 04-07-2016 at 11:20 AM.