Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

engine won't stay running, guages and windows don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy engine won't stay running, guages and windows don't work

Ok this is going to sound odd I think. I bought a 2002 jeep grand cherokee. Has the I6. The oil pressure was always all the way up. After about a month of owning it, I decided to replace the oil pressure switch. Did this, started it up, everything was fine.

Drove it home and parked it. The next day, I go out to start it, and it starts for a few seconds and dies. After a few minutes of trying to start it, it finally stayed running. But now none of the guages work, and the windows don't work. It shows me the mileage, but none of the gauges move. Took it to the shop next door, they had it an hour, brought it back, everything works, charged me $20.

It's about a month later now. I went to work, went to leave, it did it again. Now there has to be a simple reason and fix for this since they didn't have it long and fixed it. What do I do? The guy said to unhook to battery and hold the 2batteryconnects together for 10 mins, is what he did, but I took them off and gets no way that's what he did because there isn't enough slack in them, to touch them together. Tried just leaving the battery unhooked for 10 mins and that didn't work.

Last edited by Dustin Sully Sullivan; 04-04-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

sounds like a grounding issue to me. to check...take a jumper cable and connect one end to the negative terminal on the battery and other end to a bare bolt going to the firewall or engine block. there is one with a ground wire attached to it, located about 12 inches to the left of the break booster (if you are standing infront of the xj looking at the opened hood). This bolt would be ideal.

I was having good ground issues... jeep wouldnt want to idel and i was getting wacky things like my gauges acting like they had shorted out.

When it comes to Jeeps... its almost always a ground issue.