Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Keyless Entry Upgrade fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Keyless Entry Upgrade fail

Hi guys - Hope I put this in the correct area on the forum

I'm not the best with automotive electronics but I figured this would have been an easy job. Any help would be appreciated.

Vehicle:
1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 Country with power windows and power locks stock

Everybody knows that the stock keyless entry back then was a joke. I do not have the original fob either. I found this video below when looking for an upgrade option for keyless entry.

The video says it's for 1997-2001 XJs but I figured it should work on a 1993 as well. So I bought the part listed in the video (
Amazon.com: Proline REC43T+ Basic Keyless Entry System: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Proline REC43T+ Basic Keyless Entry System: Car Electronics
)

Looking at the diagram that was provided with the unit as well as the same instructions as the video above, I matched the power, ground, lock, unlock wires from the stock wires in place in my stock head unit.

Multiple places listed the stock wires as:
Pink - Power
Black - Ground
Orange/purple - Lock
Pink/Purple - Unlock

Anyway, after wiring it all together I started down the path of programming the remotes that come with the unit. This seemed to be going well since the unit has power and responds as if the programming is working. But after I follow the programming instructions nothing happens when I push the buttons on the remotes.

So I don't know, maybe this unit really doesn't work with pre-97 XJs. I just don't understand why.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

All I know is, The 1996 and earlier use an IR infra-red system. 1997 and later use RF radio frequency.
I use the factory remote on my 96, just have to point it at the receiver.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Major parts upgrade in 97 up along with electronics changes. My factory 99 unit works OK with a new OEM fob that I bought and had Jeep program for me. YMMV
Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

you'll have to find a wiring diagram for a '93..... I would think the replacement you bought can be used with the '93....as other stated the '97 & up had major changes

double check the wiring for the unlock/lock.

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-15-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:16 PM

I'm going to read this--apparently the IR to RF is more than just a wire swap

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/1...m-omg-1143482/
Old 02-15-2016, 03:24 PM

ok read the previous and it should just be a wire swap....removing the old IR receiver and installing the new RF receiver. Sounds like you have the wiring right.

so what were the power locks doing before you swapped the receivers?

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-15-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

First of all thanks you guys for the input so far.

Originally Posted by mikesignal
ok read the previous and it should just be a wire swap....removing the old IR receiver and installing the new RF receiver. Sounds like you have the wiring right.

so what were the power locks doing before you swapped the receivers?
The power locks work currently I just don't have a remote for the old system. So I took that circuit board out. When I saw the video listed above and found out the wiring diagram for the wires that were connected to the original circuit board, I figured I could just wire in a new system. So I did. The locks still work via the driver or passenger door, but nothing happens with the new remotes.

I do not know whether or not the original circuit board/keyless unit worked since I don't have the remotes for it unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:46 PM

ok, since your power door locks are working, and you have installed a new receiver, I am thinking you've got a wire issue from the receiver to the locks. Unless there is a separate relay for the wireless system. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe someone else will chime in.

I would also double check you programming.

What I usually do in this situation- to check to see if the wire is good-I find the ends of the wire. So with that I mean the end of the power door lock and unlock wires at the new wireless receiver, and the end of those same wires where they connect to the actual lock. Disconnect the wires, and then I put battery at one end (6 volt lantern battery works good--also a 9volt battery) and check to see that I've got it on the other end. I would hold off from doing this and see if you can get a wiring diagram for the power door lock system. The wiring harness at the lock/unlock end might be a PITA to get the wire out of.

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-15-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by charbur
Hi guys - Hope I put this in the correct area on the forum

I'm not the best with automotive electronics but I figured this would have been an easy job. Any help would be appreciated.

Vehicle:
1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 Country with power windows and power locks stock

Everybody knows that the stock keyless entry back then was a joke. I do not have the original fob either. I found this video below when looking for an upgrade option for keyless entry.

Cheap Keyless Entry Replacement on 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee - YouTube

The video says it's for 1997-2001 XJs but I figured it should work on a 1993 as well. So I bought the part listed in the video (Amazon.com: Proline REC43T+ Basic Keyless Entry System: Car Electronics)

Looking at the diagram that was provided with the unit as well as the same instructions as the video above, I matched the power, ground, lock, unlock wires from the stock wires in place in my stock head unit.

Multiple places listed the stock wires as:
Pink - Power
Black - Ground
Orange/purple - Lock
Pink/Purple - Unlock

Anyway, after wiring it all together I started down the path of programming the remotes that come with the unit. This seemed to be going well since the unit has power and responds as if the programming is working. But after I follow the programming instructions nothing happens when I push the buttons on the remotes.

So I don't know, maybe this unit really doesn't work with pre-97 XJs. I just don't understand why.

I'm having the same issue you were having. Did you ever find the solution?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:24 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

You'll need to get the overhead console or overhead reading lamp assembly that has the IR (Infrared) sensor in it for the keyless entry. This is the style of remote you'll need once you do that:https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...Fob-s/5745.htm

Once you have the IR sensor installed, all you need to do is turn the Jeep on with all of the doors shut and locked, and then hold one or both of the buttons on the remote while aiming the remote directly at the IR sensor. Once the red light on the remote blinks rapidly, you should be all set, and your remote should be programmed successfully. The owner's manual describes how to do this in detail. But that's how I remember how I did it on my old '94 Grand Cherokee ZJ.

-Vince