Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Damn electrical

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Damn electrical

Hey guys. so I've learned a lot this forum. One thing that still gets me though is electrical. I have a weird issue. Now I'm having stereo and speaker issues. Listen to this problem.

I start the jeep and the rear cargo speakers work but not the front ones in the doors. However, if I roll down the passenger window with the driver switch, the passenger door speaker works. But if I hit a bump on the road hard enough it cuts off again and I can't get it back.

Also, if I run the jeep for about 15 minutes, turn it off to put gas or something and turn it on again, none of the speakers work until I open the driver door again and close it.

So where do I start? I know these xjs have issues with the wiring between the doors messing up so maybe that's why the driver side speaker doesnt work. But what about the random cutting out and weird ways to get the speakers back on?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

2 wires, just like a light bulb, well connected.so where do they get broken,disconnected. need to trace them from one end to the other. maybe easier starting at the speaker,going thru the door interface. i dont know how they pass thru the hinge opening but thats a good place to look, maybe open door and wiggle the wires there.
SO FAR ! thats one problem i dont have, yet!

i see fresh wires in mine probably by the previous owner with new radio
he put in.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Don't fool with the stock wiring it's much easier to just grab a 50' spool and run new.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Don't fool with the stock wiring it's much easier to just grab a 50' spool and run new.
Ditto this. My 91 had daberky issues with that dumb little connector and cracked wires. I fixed it and plan to run all new wiring from an amp.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I think thats what ill do. But get new speakers and a new stereo since this one is not the original, but sucks all the same haha. What size speakers fit? Are they 5.25 or 6.5?

Last edited by Martlor13; 10-27-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like the guys suggested new wiring may be in order from your description. My 99 had an aftermarket radio/CD player in it that I hated all push buttons and have to see the small menus to boot. So I finally found a factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette player like the one that shipped in it and going to install it.

Much easier for am old man to see when on the trails and highway. Here is the current one and half assed install of it.

Well I guess I won't link not working.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Yea... the boot the wires are in in the doors is a clear point for them to get worn out. I have been having problems with my dome lights for years, I have been too lazy to actually get in there and fix it so I said screw it and pulled the bulbs and fuses until I actually get around to routing some new wires... Electrical is everyone's least favorite automotive project... good luck
Old 10-29-2016, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Like the guys suggested new wiring may be in order from your description. My 99 had an aftermarket radio/CD player in it that I hated all push buttons and have to see the small menus to boot. So I finally found a factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette player like the one that shipped in it and going to install it.

Much easier for am old man to see when on the trails and highway. Here is the current one and half assed install of it.

Well I guess I won't link not working.
When rewiring all this, shoukd I put the new wiring in the old wirings place? Like in that mess of wires?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

here is a link to wire color info in case you need it......If I remember correct when I rewired mine I left the OEM wires in the plug that goes in the radio, left 4 or 5 inches of slack, then used butt splices to connect the new wires to them. This way you can still have them separated by color at the back of the radio (if that's what is still there).

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...eard/Jeep.html

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1213.html
Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mikesignal
here is a link to wire color info in case you need it......If I remember correct when I rewired mine I left the OEM wires in the plug that goes in the radio, left 4 or 5 inches of slack, then used butt splices to connect the new wires to them. This way you can still have them separated by color at the back of the radio (if that's what is still there).

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...eard/Jeep.html

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1213.html
Thanks man! That link says that the stock door speakers are 6.5 but every where else isee 5.25. Weird haha
Old 10-29-2016, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Martlor13

Thanks man! That link says that the stock door speakers are 6.5 but every where else isee 5.25. Weird haha
5.25 all around, but 6x9 can be made to fit the hatch easy with a dremel and some patience!