Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2004 Overland/ Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2004 Overland/ Stereo Install

Hi,
Just picked up my first Jeep, 2004 Overland

Want to install new radio and speakers with 4 channel amp and powered 8"sub.

My questions are .
1) Front and rear speakers I am looking at the JBL GTO 638 6 1/2 " . They have a 2" depth. will these work and are any mods needed? (I know the fronts are 6 x 9 stock but I heard the factory config is hard to fit)

2) Head Unit : I like the new Kenwood KMM BT 515HD

3) need a separate 4 channel amp/ or would head unit above be ok ? (What would you Suggest )

4) powered sub : I am thinking of the Power Base BTAB single 8" 150watt enclosure

I am trying to keep entire upgrade under $500

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Cheap is best done with a good HEAD and 4 quality speakers. You want to do factory sizes wherever possible on speakers. Spend your cash on 4 good 6x9s and a good deck, dash kit, and harness, and call it a day. You can always go back and add amps and subs.

Last edited by AbbadonTD; 02-19-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Thanks ... If I get a powered 8" sub will a sill a amp for the speakers?
Old 02-20-2016, 11:17 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I was less interested in quality, and just wanted a more modern head unit that had an aux input. Got an added bonus when I ran across a unit that also took SD cards, although that capability is a bit crippled.

Install was dead easy in my 99 XJ[**! after I repaired the broken wires in the passenger door !**]. Kept the front speakers(Infinity) and replaced the rear 5 1/4's. In the 99, the depth in the enclosure is pretty good, but I'd have needed to cut a bit to install 6 1/2's.

The cheap head has surprisingly good sound quality, and the power is sufficient to drive relatively efficient speakers a lot louder than I ever need. No thumping bass, but I don't go there anyway.

Maybe if you replace the head unit and speakers first, you may find the amp or powered sub is not really needed. Unless the chest rattling thump is what you are chasing.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/in...395uab-220600/

Last edited by el diablo loco; 02-20-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: noted wire repairs
Old 02-20-2016, 12:16 PM

You will notice little difference beyond the Wattage difference in heads unless you replace the speakers. The speakers are, by far, the weak point of any car audio system out of the factory.

In fact, when friends buy new cars around me now, with all the whistles on the stock systems, I just swap out the speakers.

With 6x9s you probably dont need a sub unless you really want one. any 3way/4way 6x9 delivers bass rather well.

"If you replace the head unit and speakers first, you may find the amp or powered sub is not really needed. Unless the chest rattling thump is what you are chasing."
- What ^^ said.

Amps are only really needed to fight with each other. If you put a sub IN, THEN you need to amp the other speakers. Its about getting the power balanced out, you put 1000watts into a sub, than the 85watts your deck is pushing to 4 speakers is just not going to cut it. But as I said up top, Amps and subs can be added. You will need a head, you will need door speakers. Start there, and build up.

Last edited by AbbadonTD; 02-20-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

All of these posts have no idea of what you now have installed in your 04 WJ Overland edition as far as quality of the head unit, speakers and amp already in it. The Overland edition came with a price in 04 of over $50k basic unit mine had had even more options on it, but radio was std. As I recall my head unit is an Alpine and the speakers are matched the amp is also an Alpine unit mounted under the rear seat. I was very pleased with the sound quality in mine and just added an adapter for Bluetooth to it so my phone plays through it.

I had no desire for a sub and don't know if there is an output on the factory head or amp for one.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by AbbadonTD
You want to do factory sizes wherever possible on speakers.
Originally Posted by AbbadonTD
Spend your cash on 4 good 6x9s
This makes no sense at all dude.
In one sentence you say keep the stock speaker sizes followed immediately by get out the sawzall?
Old 02-20-2016, 04:57 PM

I am going to start with the head unit I am going to get Kenwood KMM BT 515HD it is suppose to ship in march. See how that goes then perhaps the
Power Base BTAB single 8" 150watt.

The stock speakers really dont sound bad. so I wait to replace those if needed.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:06 PM

are 6x9s not stock? I read that backwards then. Do stock sizes.

And it doesnt matter what the factory options are/were, they are not as good as even cheap aftermarket parts.

Even so advice is good, good set of stock sizes and a head are the way to go when it comes to bang for the buck.

You will need to replace the stock speakers, you have no dynamic range. Well, not that you will notice with a sub like that.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Quote:"And it doesnt matter what the factory options are/were, they are not as good as even cheap aftermarket parts."

Some people speak with knowledge of nothing but profess to be an Expert

I have a few custom stereo install's done the last in a Ford Super Duty King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel. That waste of money cost me over $5400 done by a car audio shop "Car-Fi" it did have Nav in the head unit.

How many WJ 04 model Overland edition Grand Cherokee's have you owned to call all the factory items junk....How many was that?? Granted they do not get the full features of a new head unit but you will be hard pressed to hear the difference in FM or Disc. Along with the remote amp does very well much better than any amp built into a head unit.

Sometimes it isn't a good idea to make blanket statements and the one about cheap aftermarket head units being better is pure crap.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Sometimes it isn't a good idea to make blanket statements and the one about cheap aftermarket head units being better is pure crap.
..--..

That sounds remarkably like a blanket statement. Oh crap!

OP seems to have already decided that they wanted a new head unit, without details as to why. Could be that new crap provides more capability than 2004 factory, even if the 2004 crap is "not crap".

For my own purposes in a 99 Classic with stock crap radio and "not crap" infinities only in the doors, I combined new crap head unit with old factory door speakers, and replaced the rear $3 factory crap speakers with new crap speakers.

Deciding which crap is better crap is sort of subjective. If the infinities had been blown/crap, they would have been 86'd for new crap too. But they sound OK, so for now they go along for the crappy ride.

Everybody perceives their crap differently. The "best crap" is always more expensive than "good enough with better/different features" crap.

I can see where 2016 crap might have more appeal[for me] over 2004 factory hotness. Like computers, fones, and digi-cameras, sound systems evolve rapidly.

And yet I still carry my 2004 flip phone. Huh. [Cuz it's "good enough".]

All this crap in this crappy post is intended not to fling crap, but to calm crap down. But I'm pretty crappy at that sort of thing, for which I apologize in advance.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by el diablo loco
That sounds remarkably like a blanket statement. Oh crap!...
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation”
Herbert Spencer
Old 02-21-2016, 02:08 PM

I am replacing the head unit so that I can have full use of the current technology of Bluetooth, Pandora ect. and hands free phone among options to tune sound field more to my listening preferences
Old 02-22-2016, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation”
Herbert Spencer

Old 02-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zexx
I am replacing the head unit so that I can have full use of the current technology of Bluetooth, Pandora ect. and hands free phone among options to tune sound field more to my listening preferences
Sounds like good reasons for a change. Enjoy your tunes. If you eventually pull the doors open for speakers you may want inspect the sound deadening, and repair any damage or amend the materials. If you add material, don't block the weep holes in the bottom of the door. An XJ apparently has very little, I'm hoping its better in your higher trim model.

Maybe if you have time after the install, you can ebay off the 2004 factory unit.

Then we'll have a bit of empirical market tested evidence on just how highly sought after a 12plus year old Overland head unit might be. Too bad there won't be an "original box' to go along with it. I'll not be bidding, but it seems like the sky is the limit. Heck, it may even finance the whole swap for you. Maybe even a whole new vehicle.

Just to round out the investigation and all.