KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Ticking/clicking noise in passenger compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 2.4 multiair
Default Ticking/clicking noise in passenger compartment

Hello all. 2016 Cherokee, 2.4 Multiair.
i have this clicking/ticking noise I hear in the passenger compartment at idle. The noise is very even, has the same rhythm/frequency and repeats at a consistent interval. The noise doesn’t increase or change character as rpm’s increase. In fact, as rpm’s increase the noise disappears or is probably masked by increasing engine/driving noise. The characteristics of the noise don’t change regardless of gear selected. What’s odd is sometimes while idling and listening the noise stops, then starts again shortly afterwards. Almost sounds like a vent or actuator in the climate system however operating the system doesn’t change the noise.
Here’s the kicker, while trying to trace the source and listen under the hood (where I don’t hear the noise) I touched the fuel lines and lo and behold the line had a pulsing sensation going through it that had the same characteristics as the noise I hear in the compartment.
Does the fuel pump supply fuel in pulses? I’m thinking somehow this noise is transferring somehow into the compartment. Also with it stopping sometimes is the fuel pump variable? Senses pressure and stops pumping until pressure drops?
I’ve tried searching here and the web but no go. Anyone have any thoughts, direction?
Old 01-08-2024, 08:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2015 & 2016
Engine: 2.4 & 3.2

yes, some fuel pumps pump the fuel in pulses. also the injectors spay the gas into the engine in pulses. plus your gas line runs through the bottom of the car and into the engine bay from the bottom.

have you searched for anything lose in the area that you hear the noise inside?

have you checked your motor mounts? the 2.4L engine mounts are known to go bad and don't really last long.

tip to locate the noise.
get a plastic gallon like a milk gallon or maybe something that is more round in shape. cut the bottom of it like if you were going to use it as a funnel. get a large screwdriver, stick the handle into the spout of the plastic gallon then touch the tip of the screwdriver where you hear the noise. this will amply the noise you hear, so when you find the section that sounds the loudest that is where you focus your attention.

you can also just do it with the screwdriver and put your ear on the handle, but the plastic gallon helps to amplify the sound.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:34 PM

Year: 2016
Engine: 2.4 multiair

tnsr35,
Thought it may have been the motor mounts and replaced all 3! Only 83K miles on car! Can't believe the driver's side had already leaked its fluid, and the passenger side was loose as all get out! The wishbone mount underneath looked ok but replaced it anyway. Had the car up on a lift and traced the fuel lines all the way front and back except where it looks like they run through a conduit/enclosed channel coming up along the firewall wall before turning to the fuel rail. That's where I think the noise is transferring. Haven't looked to see if I can remove the cover to the channel to check it out. Placed rubber isolators along the fuel lines where the mounts make contact with the body but no change. That's why I believe the noise comes from that enclosed channel.
Appreciate your answer and insight into the pulsing fuel pump. I'll try your tip on the channel. Funny thing is you don't hear it outside the passenger compartment.
More to come.....

Last edited by Satxjeepcstat; 01-09-2024 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-20-2024, 12:42 AM

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Satxjeepcstat
Hello all. 2016 Cherokee, 2.4 Multiair.
i have this clicking/ticking noise I hear in the passenger compartment at idle. The noise is very even, has the same rhythm/frequency and repeats at a consistent interval. The noise doesn’t increase or change character as rpm’s increase. In fact, as rpm’s increase the noise disappears or is probably masked by increasing engine/driving noise. The characteristics of the noise don’t change regardless of gear selected. What’s odd is sometimes while idling and listening the noise stops, then starts again shortly afterwards. Almost sounds like a vent or actuator in the climate system however operating the system doesn’t change the noise.
Here’s the kicker, while trying to trace the source and listen under the hood (where I don’t hear the noise) I touched the fuel lines and lo and behold the line had a pulsing sensation going through it that had the same characteristics as the noise I hear in the compartment.
Does the fuel pump supply fuel in pulses? I’m thinking somehow this noise is transferring somehow into the compartment. Also with it stopping sometimes is the fuel pump variable? Senses pressure and stops pumping until pressure drops?
I’ve tried searching here and the web but no go. Anyone have any thoughts, direction?
I have this exact issue! Did you find a solution?