Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining noise

I got a whining noise in the back and when I turn it gets louder and sounds like something is popping
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Problem:
"Whining noise in back"

Solution:
Remove wife from vehicle. test.

Problem solved.

all right, yeah yeah,,,,,funny guy ha ha.

ok, couple things it could be......hub/axle bad or dried out. or bearing is shot. differential ( ring gear, pinion gear, not enough lube, or lube leaked out and is running dry finally catching up to you!), rear brakes?

what side is it coming from? (if you can tell)
which way are you turning when you hear it?

cpnwrench

Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Lol....I tried getting the wife out a few times she keeps coming back lol it only does it when I'm at a slow roll turning left or backing up slowly turning left
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

the left turn and backin slow,,is that the popping noise AND whining or just popping?

as for the whine......whe you are driving straight at say 60, is it still there?

might wanna jack er up and pull wheels and look at drums, pads for weird wear, if nothing there, go deeper and check wheel play
(i.e before taking wheels off, jack up do push pull test, hand at 12 o'clock and other hand at 6 o'clock....) Any play at all you have a bad axle/bearing etc.

check fluid level in rear diff.

cheers!

cpnwrench

Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Got a 99 XJ with 8.25 rear end

heard whining from rear for a long time off and on, now it's always on and I want to fix it soon

think it's wheel bearing, will be inspecting it sometime after the ice melts, hopefully soon
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM

99 XJ
4.0 straight 6
3" lift
297,500 miles

I've had the same rear whining for a while, it is most prominent on a right turn and especially during no acceleration. If I accelerate during the right turn it will quiet down a bit or maybe its just the force of forward movement that makes it quiet down

I replaced my rear axle bearings and that did not do anything but give me new axle bearings which is good, so now my biggest culprit is the carrier bearing.

I have also replaced both front hub assemblies so it's not those either.

I'll update if the carrier bearing replacement solves the noise
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM

99 XJ
4.0 straight 6
3" lift
297,500 miles

I've had the same rear whining for a while, it is most prominent on a right turn and especially during no acceleration. If I accelerate during the right turn it will quiet down a bit or maybe its just the force of forward movement that makes it quiet down

I replaced my rear axle bearings and that did not do anything but give me new axle bearings which is good, so now my biggest culprit is the carrier bearing.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Wes.Hartshorn

Originally Posted by wes.hartshorn
99 XJ
4.0 straight 6
3" lift
297,500 miles

I have the same problem. I took it to a mechanic and he said I had a bad differential, its a 8.25. He said to swap out the old for a new one and quoted me about $700 for parts and $700 for labor. Is this a rip off? and should I get a second opinion? He said that if I could deal with the noise then it should run like this for a long time. Its to the point where I get so annoyed to have anyone else in the car and to explain that I drive a piece of **** when I know my xj is a great machine. Honestly, the problem only exists between 15 and 60 mph. So in town around corners it is aggravating to listen to. I keep thinking that it is just the wheel bearings since the noise mainly happens when I turn right and the vehicle leans left. wes.hartshorn did you find out anything else? Have you fixed the problem yet? And was it the diff or the bearings? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM

@DingoGoneWild:

I have the Chrysler 8.25 rear end as well.

I was quoted $1,200 - $1,300 to replace the carrier bearing by the stealership. They said the carrier bearing itself is around $700.

I was told by the dealership that the carrier bearing lives inside the differential so if you installed a new diff that would fixed it however with the potential wear on your drive shaft you could have grooves worn into the shaft which might need replaced as well, but you could probably get away with just fixing the bearing/replacing the diff.

I have not monkeyed under there to fix it yet, I'm gonna have to ride it out until spring 2014.

In regards to your problem, if your mechanic is saying it's a bad diff I would just ask him further why he thinks its the differential and not the rear wheel bearing? $700 for parts and labor is not bad, as long as it's a new diff. If he's good he'll get in done in just a few hours.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by wes.hartshorn
@DingoGoneWild:

I have the Chrysler 8.25 rear end as well.

I was quoted $1,200 - $1,300 to replace the carrier bearing by the stealership. They said the carrier bearing itself is around $700.

I was told by the dealership that the carrier bearing lives inside the differential so if you installed a new diff that would fixed it however with the potential wear on your drive shaft you could have grooves worn into the shaft which might need replaced as well, but you could probably get away with just fixing the bearing/replacing the diff.

I have not monkeyed under there to fix it yet, I'm gonna have to ride it out until spring 2014.

In regards to your problem, if your mechanic is saying it's a bad diff I would just ask him further why he thinks its the differential and not the rear wheel bearing? $700 for parts and labor is not bad, as long as it's a new diff. If he's good he'll get in done in just a few hours.
Nah, my mechanic quoted me $1400 in all. $700 for parts plus $700 for labor. I think I am better off just doing it myself. Replacing an axle assembly shouldnt be that hard since I have brand new U bolts on already because I just installed a new lift kit on it. I think ill just go to a junk yard and try to find one that is the same type and gear ratio. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 AM

On second thought!!!! Ill just have my engine start shaking and pistons miss-fire, instead of fixing the axle and rear diff, lets do en entire head/valve job. Ah, problem fixed $1700 later... While that annoying whining is still there, the vehicles power couldn't be better. Watch, the next thing to go wrong will be the damn transmission. Too bad I like my cherokee so much, otherwise I might go jump it off a cliff...

Never get attached to material things if you can... people that do, pay out their ears.