KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Kl going up 3 ft tall steps

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark
Default Kl going up 3 ft tall steps

wurd
Attached Thumbnails Kl going up 3 ft tall steps-img_20141002_041025775.jpg   Kl going up 3 ft tall steps-img_20141002_041158122.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 PM

look at those pretty skid plates. it was a task going up this .. i bottomed out a little i didnt figure it would make it.. but surprise! it went up it..
ok non believers... this same place has beaten my XJ and KJ ... no joke.. neither stock vehicle would clear this obstacle.. my KL did.. Lockers i presume made the difference? or did they? considering i went up it twice.. once locked and another unlocked.. it struggled had unlocked.. but it went.. so for that reason i am impressed... it seems the other 2 jeeps suspension would bind them up.. this thing just raises a wheel and goes.. i cant explain it.. but it seems balance is making the difference.. ? id still like to see what the Up Country would do side by side.. seriously.. WInd ROck Park is 2 hours away.. anyone close that has a stock Up Country XJ.. that would like to do the comparison id be glad to link up on the trails again this is not a pissing match nor my intentions to **** anyone off.. myself and many others want to know if this tech has improved off road capabilities..

Last edited by metalwonzero; 10-15-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Thank you for posting this. We need more people testing out their new KL's on the trails. I still don't care for the looks, but I'd like to see it perform well off road. You have the trailhawk version I take it?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
Thank you for posting this. We need more people testing out their new KL's on the trails. I still don't care for the looks, but I'd like to see it perform well off road. You have the trailhawk version I take it?
yep.. i have the 4 banger model.. and its impressive..
i am only guessing this thing will maybe have issues in deep mud.. i have yet to test this.. because.. i dont know many people in my area.. so finding someone that would pull me out is making this test kinda hard..
as far as mountain trails go its awesome..
Pine Mountain is the name of the mountain in between kentucky and virginia.. Birch **** gap. is east of the location i traversed to the top.. you can find Birch **** over look on google earth to get an idea of the terrain..
Cutters Creek Rd in Dickenson County Virginia.. find it.. and at the very end of the rd.. the trail turns up the mountain.. easy to find on the map. part of the trail intersects with power lines.. i went to the top..
Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
I've taken mine on a lot of the trails in Uwharrie National Park in NC and it has not only impressed me but also a lot of Wrangler and XJ owners out there too. Its just so hard to stop and remember to take pictures while having so much fun! I have the V6 Trailhawk version. I will say that there are times that I decide not to do something because I don't want to rip the lower front bumper off, but I've got enough scratches on the skid plates to make the dealership question my warranty.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by lighttoast
I've taken mine on a lot of the trails in Uwharrie National Park in NC and it has not only impressed me but also a lot of Wrangler and XJ owners out there too. Its just so hard to stop and remember to take pictures while having so much fun! I have the V6 Trailhawk version. I will say that there are times that I decide not to do something because I don't want to rip the lower front bumper off, but I've got enough scratches on the skid plates to make the dealership question my warranty.
this also soldme on the trailhawk~ they brag about the skids and how they protect it and how its ok if you hear the skids.. skidding on rocks.. its either on Tales of the Trailhawk on youtube.. or it was the main jeep web site.. and i also got flack about this at the dealer..and i showed them the video.. and basically told them.. thats what they are for..

i have the same problem.. i do take photos.. its what i do.. but im usually riding solo and have no one to take the pics on places that are awesome.
i did what you dont want to do.. i mashed the pushpins out of that plastic under the fog lights on some inclines.. that is cosmetics, and i care less about pretty as long as its practical and gets me to where i wanna go..
also.. that rocks! that you are impressing other jeepers, how far away are ya from Cherokee NC? or Gatlinburg TN?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Default mpg on a trip up to virginia from tennessee

29 mpg o yea... i dont think the photo loaded? gotta love satt internet during cloudy days..GAH!

Last edited by metalwonzero; 10-22-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Default i need these

Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

Originally Posted by metalwonzero

this also soldme on the trailhawk~ they brag about the skids and how they protect it and how its ok if you hear the skids.. skidding on rocks.. its either on Tales of the Trailhawk on youtube.. or it was the main jeep web site.. and i also got flack about this at the dealer..and i showed them the video.. and basically told them.. thats what they are for..

i have the same problem.. i do take photos.. its what i do.. but im usually riding solo and have no one to take the pics on places that are awesome.
i did what you dont want to do.. i mashed the pushpins out of that plastic under the fog lights on some inclines.. that is cosmetics, and i care less about pretty as long as its practical and gets me to where i wanna go..
also.. that rocks! that you are impressing other jeepers, how far away are ya from Cherokee NC? or Gatlinburg TN?
I was a little worried when they brought it up but the service rep had the same thoughts. If I can't scrape up the skid plates we might as well take the trail rated badge off. So he looks the other way for now.

I'm a good 4 hours from Cherokee. Probably the same if not more to Gatlinburg.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by lighttoast
I was a little worried when they brought it up but the service rep had the same thoughts. If I can't scrape up the skid plates we might as well take the trail rated badge off. So he looks the other way for now.

I'm a good 4 hours from Cherokee. Probably the same if not more to Gatlinburg.
doi! i keep forgetting to look left at the location.. yea yer a hump away from that area but closer than most.. heck i may come wheel with ya one weekend.. i need to get out of tennessee for a day or 2 anyway..
Old 10-23-2014, 07:52 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Keep the photos coming!!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:51 PM

29 mpg o yea... i dont think the photo loaded? gotta love satt internet during cloudy days..GAH!
Attached Thumbnails Kl going up 3 ft tall steps-_mg_2004.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

HA HA cool
Old 10-26-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
HA HA cool
ima take a sports mode pic of the dash... lol.. the fuel thing looks like a tach thats working in reverse..
Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I don't wish to pry, but you need better photos of this spot. From what I can tell it looks like my Mazda would make it up that. LOL I don't mean to hate. I just want to see more of this....thing...in action.

Quick Reply: Kl going up 3 ft tall steps