Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > KL Cherokee Tech
2018 Jeep Cherokee randomly dies while driving >

2018 Jeep Cherokee randomly dies while driving

KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Jeep Cherokee randomly dies while driving

Old 03-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 2018 Jeep Cherokee randomly dies while driving

So a very scary thing happened today, my 2018 Cherokee with 3200 miles just randomly turned off, while I was driving. The dealership is telling me the event logs were cleared so they cannot tell what happened, cannot make it happen again and I can come get my jeep. Has this been happening to anyone else? I saw it on a thread but the Cherokee in question was an '88. I am scared to drive the jeep I love! When it went off I lost the breaks and everything, what if I am on the highway next time! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by sloblonde; 03-29-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You did not lose the breaks. They just weren't hydraulically assisted like they are when the motor is running...same with your steering.

Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep products have been plagued with shutdown-while-driving problems for the last 8-10 years. Check out carcomplaints.com to see just how widespread this issue has been for them. It seems to have come in with the advent of the TIPM (totally integrated power module). From the stories, it appears the dealerships have a hard time reproducing the problem and end up replacing the TIPM, or "upgrading the vehicle software" then sending drivers on their way to have it happen again.

I wish I had more to say about it, but I'm not an expert. I have just been researching FCA vehicles for a while and noticed this as a well known problem across many of their vehicles for quite a long time.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 AM

Year: 2016 Trailhawk
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Why are you posting here???

Originally Posted by sloblonde View Post
So a very scary thing happened today, my 2018 Cherokee with 3200 miles just randomly turned off, while I was driving. The dealership is telling me the event logs were cleared so they cannot tell what happened, cannot make it happen again and I can come get my jeep. Has this been happening to anyone else? I saw it on a thread but the Cherokee in question was an '88. I am scared to drive the jeep I love! When it went off I lost the breaks and everything, what if I am on the highway next time! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Seriously, Im sure Im not the only one who thinks that rather than wasting your time here you bring your new car to the dealer.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by jordan96xj View Post
You did not lose the breaks. They just weren't hydraulically assisted like they are when the motor is running...same with your steering.

Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep products have been plagued with shutdown-while-driving problems for the last 8-10 years. Check out carcomplaints.com to see just how widespread this issue has been for them. It seems to have come in with the advent of the TIPM (totally integrated power module). From the stories, it appears the dealerships have a hard time reproducing the problem and end up replacing the TIPM, or "upgrading the vehicle software" then sending drivers on their way to have it happen again.

I wish I had more to say about it, but I'm not an expert. I have just been researching FCA vehicles for a while and noticed this as a well known problem across many of their vehicles for quite a long time.
Jordan, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:44 AM

Year: 2018
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2

Jordan96xj, you're correct. I had a 2009 Liberty did the same thing, I would be driving down the highway and it would just shut down, after the 3rd time and a leaky sunroof they couldn't fix Daimler/Chrysler bought it back.
The dealer and service manager was a friend of mine and they told me at that time it was a problem they had with some Jeeps but they couldn't find out why.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:43 PM

Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2L V6

A similar thing happened with our 2014 Cherokee Limited 3.2 L V6 and it did set a code. Not sure what the code number was but the mechanic said that the roll over valve was sticking open. That apparently allowed liquid fuel to pass the valve which filled the canister and the fuel line to the purge solenoid and caused the vehicle to die. I asked the mechanic if there was a TSB on this problem. He said no but that they have called FCA engineering about it and that the were apparently aware of it. I'm thinking it may be pretty pervasive in reading about how these Cherokees die and people talk of it happening after filling the gas tank. My wife had just filled the tank coincidentally and right after, it died on her while driving in traffic. Of course the "Service Transmission" Warning appears and I read about that a lot anyway. Here's a link to my post:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f87/20...-valve-247587/