KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2014 cherokee trailhawk

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs down 2014 cherokee trailhawk

Once 4 LOW is engaged and the Differential LOCK is locked, you cannot unlock the DIF LOCK very easily.

For the second time I have got stuck trying to unlock the differential lock for at least 25 minutes each time. The way to do it was by LUCK when I started putting the car from Neutral to D and moving forward a bit, several times, until It actually disengaged.

Any inputs or comments are welcome.

Thank you
LCL

Last edited by brazeagle; 10-29-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by brazeagle
Once 4 LOW is engaged and the Differential LOCK is locked, you cannot unlock the DIF LOCK very easily.

For the second time I have got stuck trying to unlock the differential lock for at least 25 minutes each time. The way to do it was by LUCK when I starter putting the car from Neutral to D and moving forward a bit, several times, until It actually disengaged.

Any inputs or comments are welcome.

Thank you
LCL
i keep mine in drive.. and push the button while in motion takes normally 10-15 feet sometimes less depending on the terrain im in.. so be patient, let it UNLOCK its self..
Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM

Question

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
i keep mine in drive.. and push the button while in motion takes normally 10-15 feet sometimes less depending on the terrain im in.. so be patient, let it UNLOCK its self..
Great, thanks, I will try that, however when you press the diff lock button and you are not in NEUTRAL, you get a chime and message saying to FIRST PUT VEHICLE IN NEUTRAL for unlocking differential!

Any difference in yours?
Thanks again,
LCL
Old 10-29-2014, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Like 4 low on the older jeeps, crawl at 5-8 mph and put in neutral and press the button. I bet once you've done it a couple times, the gears should be used and will work even in neural.

I drive an 01 xj but my experience with my first usage of 4 low of the season, of offroading after a few months away from it, 4 low is a ***** to get in and out. Do it a few times and ill be able to shift it like a manual vehicle through gears
Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 AM

Great, thanks, I will try that, however when you press the diff lock button and you are not in NEUTRAL, you get a chime and message saying to FIRST PUT VEHICLE IN NEUTRAL for unlocking differential!

Any difference in yours?
Thanks again,
LCL
as soon as i read this, i went outside, hopped in my trailhawk, put it in Neutral, then 4L took across my driveway, tapped the locker button, it went right in, kept rolling tapped it again, they unlocked..
back to neutral, took it out of 4L..
in that order.. nothing popped up about going into neutral during the locker process..
Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
as soon as i read this, i went outside, hopped in my trailhawk, put it in Neutral, then 4L took across my driveway, tapped the locker button, it went right in, kept rolling tapped it again, they unlocked..
back to neutral, took it out of 4L..
in that order.. nothing popped up about going into neutral during the locker process..
Hello everyone, and thanks for all the input.

YES you are right, I was actually doing it wrong, as I thought I had to stop and put into neutral to disengage the differential lock.

I did exactly what you mentioned, the above steps simply worked out pretty good and no more issues,

Thanks a lot.
LCL
Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 PM

Hello everyone, and thanks for all the input.

YES you are right, I was actually doing it wrong, as I thought I had to stop and put into neutral to disengage the differential lock.

I did exactly what you mentioned, the above steps simply worked out pretty good and no more issues,

Thanks a lot.
LCL
ya almost need a degree to figure these things out
Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

the rams are the same way...kinda scary when you're a couple hundred miles from home and try 4L out for the first time
Old 12-15-2014, 10:01 AM

My trailhawk has offically been deemed a lemon. The transmission issues were nuts. Erratic and un-prompted shifting, accelerating on its own. The car had 700 miles on it. When the transmission was replaced, and the ECM for the second time, it came out of the shop with 6000 miles on it. How is that even possible?????
Old 12-18-2014, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kimberly10
My trailhawk has offically been deemed a lemon. The transmission issues were nuts. Erratic and un-prompted shifting, accelerating on its own. The car had 700 miles on it. When the transmission was replaced, and the ECM for the second time, it came out of the shop with 6000 miles on it. How is that even possible?????
they may or may not had it on a dyno machine trying to recreate the errors? that would put some miles on it.. but 6000? wow.. hopefully you get taken care of..