KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Squeak and odd sound from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:51 PM
JJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Squeak and odd sound from exhaust

Team - I am driving a 2014 Trailhawk with about 18k miles. I am taking it in to the shop for its regular oil change (free) and the airbag recall.

So, a couple of things i have noticed is that when I drive fairly slow next to place that has a wall that echoes sound back, I hear like a squeak that comes from underneath the vehicle (the frequency changes with speed). It almost reminds me of the U-Joint on my old CJ-7. The other noise I have noticed is the almost sound of a leak from underneath the car that comes from the exhaust. I don't see any damage (I have not taken this car off road yet), so I am not entirely sure what it may be.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you
Old 08-25-2015, 05:58 AM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by JJM
Team - I am driving a 2014 Trailhawk with about 18k miles. I am taking it in to the shop for its regular oil change (free) and the airbag recall.

So, a couple of things i have noticed is that when I drive fairly slow next to place that has a wall that echoes sound back, I hear like a squeak that comes from underneath the vehicle (the frequency changes with speed). It almost reminds me of the U-Joint on my old CJ-7. The other noise I have noticed is the almost sound of a leak from underneath the car that comes from the exhaust. I don't see any damage (I have not taken this car off road yet), so I am not entirely sure what it may be.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you
4 banger or 6? the 4 banger sucks some wind.. ram air on the nose sucks some air.. kinda like a progressive snot whistle? lol..
mines going in for a popping sound, happens when i make a turn.. drive train for sure.. transmission is fine.. but causes that pop also when it shifts out of 1st gear kinda hard.. but its not the transmission ill say i am 98%sure and leave room for error ..
Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 AM
JJM

I have the 6 cylinder. I dont get the popping sound at all and the tranny shifts well. I am not sure that it is internal to the drive train but I could be wrong. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:30 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

I'm all for problem solving and working on your car (engineer with an XJ), but you just bought a brand new KL. You only have 18k miles on it and you're hearing noises from the drivetrain or suspension. AND you haven't taken it off road. You are clearly going to the dealership already, so why not use the warranty you paid for. Troubleshooting is great when you are avoiding the cost of replacing parts and paying for labor, but it can damage your Jeep more if you get it wrong on your own. Most likely this has been something other people have dealt with (surprise, not all cherokee owners are on CF) and your dealership will probably know about it. The best part is, you can come back here and post what the problem actually is and the solution.

Case in point, I recently had a pretty nasty rubbing sound coming from the front end when i was turning slowly in parking lots or accelerating from a stop. Above 20 I never heard anything. I was able to narrow down that it was suspension related and coming from the front passenger side, but instead of pull stuff apart myself (and probably void warranty) I took it to the dealership on my next oil change. One of the bolts on the knuckle had come loose and was allowing a lot of play in the suspension. Had I found that I would have just tightened the bolt. Since I took it in, they not only fixed the problem temporarily, but ordered a new knuckle and bolt to put on in case there had been any damage caused. By the way, all covered under warranty, and now there is record of this happening so that if someone else has the same problem it leads to a faster repair. Maybe even a recall if they see it enough.

Tinker all you want and keep learning all the time (its what we do), but take advantage of what you pay for and let Jeep benefit from your experience. That's how engineers make better products
Old 08-28-2015, 12:43 AM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by lighttoast
I'm all for problem solving and working on your car (engineer with an XJ), but you just bought a brand new KL. You only have 18k miles on it and you're hearing noises from the drivetrain or suspension. AND you haven't taken it off road. You are clearly going to the dealership already, so why not use the warranty you paid for. Troubleshooting is great when you are avoiding the cost of replacing parts and paying for labor, but it can damage your Jeep more if you get it wrong on your own. Most likely this has been something other people have dealt with (surprise, not all cherokee owners are on CF) and your dealership will probably know about it. The best part is, you can come back here and post what the problem actually is and the solution.

Case in point, I recently had a pretty nasty rubbing sound coming from the front end when i was turning slowly in parking lots or accelerating from a stop. Above 20 I never heard anything. I was able to narrow down that it was suspension related and coming from the front passenger side, but instead of pull stuff apart myself (and probably void warranty) I took it to the dealership on my next oil change. One of the bolts on the knuckle had come loose and was allowing a lot of play in the suspension. Had I found that I would have just tightened the bolt. Since I took it in, they not only fixed the problem temporarily, but ordered a new knuckle and bolt to put on in case there had been any damage caused. By the way, all covered under warranty, and now there is record of this happening so that if someone else has the same problem it leads to a faster repair. Maybe even a recall if they see it enough.

Tinker all you want and keep learning all the time (its what we do), but take advantage of what you pay for and let Jeep benefit from your experience. That's how engineers make better products

well said toast
Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 PM
JJM

Smile

Got the Jeep back from the dealership - No issues really. Had tire rotation and Oil change as well as the Airbag upgrade and the RRT 14-040

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cheroke..._21_018_14.pdf

The car runs great. The exhaust noise is actually from the weeping holes in the exhaust system and the clicking noise is gone (they could not identify anything) but it is gone never the less.

The RRT 14-040 is a noticeable Flash to the transmission, I noticed it as soon as I drove it off the dealership.

So far so good.