KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2014/15 limited in sand

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2014/15 limited in sand

Looking to get a new jeep Cherokee limited to take off road mainly to the beach. How does it handle in the sand? Do I have to spend the extra $$ on the trail hawk? Thanks
Old 06-14-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a tire pump; be prepared to deflate to no less than 20# depending on the looseness of the sand. The Limited highway tires maybe better than the aggressive AT's of the Trailhawk that can dig in like a clam. While ADI is good, best if your Limited has ADII.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

someone posted a pic of a blue one, cased out in the sand at the beach... get a shovel...
Old 06-15-2015, 11:11 AM

So I am assuming it's not the best of vehicles to take off road to the beach then
Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by bigblue0509
So I am assuming it's not the best of vehicles to take off road to the beach then

Old 06-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Originally Posted by bigblue0509
I think that would depend on your definition of a beach.

I can't imagine it would have any serious trouble with 90% of sandy beaches, with only an inch or two of give below the tires: the Cherokee isn't that heavy, and its tires are pretty wide.

On the other hand, I don't know that I'd want to take a Limited up or down Indiana's dunes...if THAT's your idea of a beach. The Trailhawk should have little difficulty, based on some softer soils I've had mine on, but a Limited? I have no experience with it and know there are some minor differences.

I'll throw out there that if your beach is too tough for a KL Cherokee (of any flavor), you won't have many options from other manufacturers either.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 PM

Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

go prepared, take a shovel, sure as ya dont youll hit fluffy sand, and thats it.. would be my luck also.. and standard recovery gear..
Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Clearance is key for beach driving. Air down to 15-18max psi.
These pics are not me or my rig..
Attached Thumbnails 2014/15 limited in sand-kl-beach.jpg   2014/15 limited in sand-kl-stuck.jpg  
Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Engine: 4.7

I've driven on the beaches of Kauai for over 20 years. The widest tire you can fit on the stock rims are your best bet. If the widest tire you can fit is 10.5" that likely will not be enough. Non aggressive tread is best as well. Your best friend is a tire gauge. If your running 40+ psi on the road, which is common in newer vehicles. If you find yourself struggling, digging in, air down to 25 and then go in lower increments of about 5 psi. Find your best psi for the conditions, that might be as low as 15 psi.. I don't know what state your in, but on Kauai, the sand can changes from beach to beach. The farther west you go, the drier the sand, the more difficult it is to drive. It can also change based on the time of day. Cooler sand is easier, but at mid day, the sand is hotter and it may be more difficult. Depending on which vehicle and which beach, I have experienced being able to drive on a particular beach in the morning at street psi. If I left at 2pm, I had to air down since the sand is hotter. After rain, the sand is wet, more compact and more supportive of the vehicle. If your vehicle "rolls" as opposed to coming to a sudden stop when put in neutral, your likely at the right psi. If you have these types of variables where you live, you will eventually get to know, through acquired skill how to manage. I have driven on the beach in California, where the sand is entirely different than Hawaii in 2 wheel drive. Same in Texas on South Padre Island.
Keep the AC off. Besides the gauge, have a well made tow strap and a couple of shovels with you, just in case you get stuck or you encounter somebody else that needs help.
Unless you replace the rims/tires with wider tires, say 12" or 12.5" wide, don't expect to jam around like a dune buggy. You'll be going 5,10 maybe 15 mph at most. I have always preferred a stick for the sand. That allows you to start out in a higher gear and find the right gear for the current conditions, rather than letting the auto trans do it..
Anyway. Good luck. Have fun, and if I can help further, let me know. .
Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

^ Excellent advise, thanks for posting!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by blueseasons
I've driven on the beaches of Kauai for over 20 years. The widest tire you can fit on the stock rims are your best bet. If the widest tire you can fit is 10.5" that likely will not be enough. Non aggressive tread is best as well. Your best friend is a tire gauge. If your running 40+ psi on the road, which is common in newer vehicles. If you find yourself struggling, digging in, air down to 25 and then go in lower increments of about 5 psi. Find your best psi for the conditions, that might be as low as 15 psi.. I don't know what state your in, but on Kauai, the sand can changes from beach to beach. The farther west you go, the drier the sand, the more difficult it is to drive. It can also change based on the time of day. Cooler sand is easier, but at mid day, the sand is hotter and it may be more difficult. Depending on which vehicle and which beach, I have experienced being able to drive on a particular beach in the morning at street psi. If I left at 2pm, I had to air down since the sand is hotter. After rain, the sand is wet, more compact and more supportive of the vehicle. If your vehicle "rolls" as opposed to coming to a sudden stop when put in neutral, your likely at the right psi. If you have these types of variables where you live, you will eventually get to know, through acquired skill how to manage. I have driven on the beach in California, where the sand is entirely different than Hawaii in 2 wheel drive. Same in Texas on South Padre Island.
Keep the AC off. Besides the gauge, have a well made tow strap and a couple of shovels with you, just in case you get stuck or you encounter somebody else that needs help.
Unless you replace the rims/tires with wider tires, say 12" or 12.5" wide, don't expect to jam around like a dune buggy. You'll be going 5,10 maybe 15 mph at most. I have always preferred a stick for the sand. That allows you to start out in a higher gear and find the right gear for the current conditions, rather than letting the auto trans do it..
Anyway. Good luck. Have fun, and if I can help further, let me know. .
Can you still drive on beaches near Sandy Crotch these days?

We used to race around at Greyhound Rock in a dune buggy in the late 60s and 70s.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Engine: 4.7

I have not heard of a Sandy Crotch beach(?) in either California or Kauai. I am from the central coast . If the Greyhound Rock you are asking about is north of Davenport, I doubt you can drive there anymore. The only legal beach driving that I am aware of any longer n California is Pismo Beach. It has a whole area set aside for dune buggys to tear it up. We camped there many years ago in a 52 Chevy Pickup with a shell on the back. Its still good for beach driving recreation today.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:48 AM

I have not heard of a Sandy Crotch beach(?) in either California or Kauai. I am from the central coast . If the Greyhound Rock you are asking about is north of Davenport, I doubt you can drive there anymore. The only legal beach driving that I am aware of any longer n California is Pismo Beach. It has a whole area set aside for dune buggys to tear it up. We camped there many years ago in a 52 Chevy Pickup with a shell on the back. Its still good for beach driving recreation today.
Sandy Crotch has long been a nickname for Santa Cruz.....
Old 06-18-2015, 10:49 AM

Spent tons of time at Pismo.