KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2015 cargo area thingy

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee
Default 2015 cargo area thingy

I have a burning question that I can't get the dealer to give me a believable answer to, They may be right, but I have a difficult time accepting their answer. On the left side of the cargo compartment there is a silver metal elliptical bracket of some sort. It is removable by pulling on a latch. I gotta ask, what the heck is its purpose? One person at the dealer tells me it's to secure anything that you put behind it (which has to be really thin, given the room behind it), several others told me it's for "looks"..... Does anyone know what that bracket is used for? It's a heavy piece of metal and it seems to me that they'd use something less substantial to secure items or to make the cargo area look better.

If the dealer sales people are right, it really does little to improve the looks for what it cost to make, and if it's for securing items, some rubber straps would do just as well. If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate them sharing that.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ezdays
I have a burning question that I can't get the dealer to give me a believable answer to, They may be right, but I have a difficult time accepting their answer. On the left side of the cargo compartment there is a silver metal elliptical bracket of some sort. It is removable by pulling on a latch. I gotta ask, what the heck is its purpose? One person at the dealer tells me it's to secure anything that you put behind it (which has to be really thin, given the room behind it), several others told me it's for "looks"..... Does anyone know what that bracket is used for? It's a heavy piece of metal and it seems to me that they'd use something less substantial to secure items or to make the cargo area look better.

If the dealer sales people are right, it really does little to improve the looks for what it cost to make, and if it's for securing items, some rubber straps would do just as well. If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate them sharing that.
Welcome to the forum! You will need to post this over in the KL tech section. This area is for the XJ Cherokee, so you will get a better response in the other section. Good luck.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f87/
Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 PM

Ok, I was curious and looked. Here is your answer I think: it's a multipurpose rail designed to secure various add on bags and bits available from the dealer. I found this out by going to jeep.com and looking at interior features. Seriously though, dealerships are sometimes not very passionate about extra stuff so you need to be the detective. I have a fiat and I'm pretty sure I can get parts better than my dealer. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 cargo area thingy-image.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware there was a difference, I got a ways to go with learning about my Cherokee I guess. I guess I should repost, just that I'm not sure if cross-posting is OK here.

And thanks for the info, it makes a lot more sense than what the dealer is saying.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ezdays
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware there was a difference, I got a ways to go with learning about my Cherokee I guess. I guess I should repost, just that I'm not sure if cross-posting is OK here.

And thanks for the info, it makes a lot more sense than what the dealer is saying.
It's pretty friendly here, if you post in the wrong spot you can just do it again in the right area. Btw, I would be skeptical of a dealer or sales staff that couldn't demonstrate such an obvious thing. I mean I don't own one and it took about 8 seconds online to view the interior and Info page for the cargo management system.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
It's pretty friendly here, if you post in the wrong spot you can just do it again in the right area. Btw, I would be skeptical of a dealer or sales staff that couldn't demonstrate such an obvious thing. I mean I don't own one and it took about 8 seconds online to view the interior and Info page for the cargo management system.
Or, you can have me move the thread!!!

Done deal.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Or, you can have me move the thread!!!

Done deal.
Thank you kind sir, much better than having two threads the same. I just have to get used to what's what. I'm not only new to this forum, but to the Jeep world as well.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:32 AM

I agree, I talked to the sales guy, who was new, and he never got back to me. I called the sales manager and asked him to find out and get back to me.He never did either. I'm also a bit skeptical of whoever wrote the manuals for this vehicle. Neither the user guide or the user manual on the DVD even mentions this. I searched the Net for "2015 Jeep Cherokee cargo area" and came up with very little, and nothing on this bracket. .
Old 06-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Thank you once again, that's the info that I needed. The rack itself is called the "universal module rack" and as you said, there are many optional attachments to it. With the included clips, you can secure all sorts of bags, coolers and anything that can hang onto one of the hooks. Mopar is selling a passel of these, and I would think that they dealer sales team would be made aware of this.Once you search for the right thing, it's a piece of cake to come up with the answer.

And no Mr. dealer sales manager, it is not for "looks", nor is it there to secure something behind it, although that would work if it was small enough.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

My Trailhawk has a bag that clips directly to this rail, and I keep the tow straps in it. Additionally, the TH came with a plastic bag full of these clips, to which I attached rope, a bag of tools, and other stuff... and there's room behind the rail as well for some smaller storage. And I still have a few clips left in case I can think of something else to squeeze on to it.

My biggest complaint with the Cherokee is that there isn't as much room for storage behind the back seats as it looks--so this rail makes a big difference.

Additionally, I went to the Container Store and for $15 picked up a collapsible box that I throw the usual gear into--shovel, fire extinguisher, change of clothes, etc.--and it's all nice and organized.

And maybe...maybe...I have enough space left over for a small duffel bag.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:06 AM

My sales guy told me you put those small plastic clips that came with the Jeep to hold plastic grocery bags and you can carry all the grocery bags into your house with it.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by RJP3579
My sales guy told me you put those small plastic clips that came with the Jeep to hold plastic grocery bags and you can carry all the grocery bags into your house with it.
Now that makes sense that it's removable to allow you to do that.

FWIT, neither the sales guy or the sales manager (both who thought the bracket was there for "looks") has gotten back to me. I talked to them both and asked them to find someone who really knew, and I guess since they have my check in the bank and my signature on the contract, there's no reason to get back to me.... Oh well now, there is that survey that Jeep has sent me to review how the dealer treats customers, and then there are those "referrals" that they want me to give them, so maybe they should learn that customer service after the fact is not just to have you come in for oil changes....