Surprise, Honey! I bought a Jeep!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Default Surprise, Honey! I bought a Jeep!

Might sound odd, but that is what my wife told me Saturday while I was getting the last pieces for an AR15 build for her Valentine's Day gift. It was for my daughter who loves 4x4's and not Chevy or Ford (my usual preference). She wanted one that she could haul a light trailer with (motorcycle rider) and carry her hunting stuff in while still having room for her friends. Seems bout right to me and I don't care for Blazers or Exploders.

Now, it isn't a gem or young girl with barely any miles. For $1500, and being a 2000 Grand Cherokee, I wouldn't expect much. It has 200k on it, a sagging headliner and the driver's seat squeaks. The 4.0 has a valve cover leak, and it needs rear brakes. Other than that though it actually isn't bad.

I am going through my usual used vehicle maintenance so maybe something else will rear it's head. Here is my usual routine. Please let me know if I am missing anything. I do these to every vehicle I buy as needed.
Trans filter
Oil
Front and rear Differentials
Transfer case
Coolant
Plugs and boots
Air Filter

My brother got 350k out of his Cherokee and only got rid of it because his wife hated it. I am hoping this matches that since it is my average. I have heard these straight 6's are pretty bullet proof. Are there any other areas I should look out for? The Jeep is rust free as of now aside from the normal bolt head and such.

My daughter is already asking about lifting and top racks and putting a gun rack in a replacement head liner. Of course, I am not into lifting it, but some meatier than factory tires (the ones on it are new so I have a while on those) would not go amiss. Any ideas on any of this? I have worked on my Silverado, and I think she is looking to imitate a bit.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Welcome...you came to the right place to get those an other questions answered. And a general good time

I think you've got the right path for normal maint. items started there. You might want to add checking the cooling system to your list. That has been a weakness in most of them. So check that, and the water pump too. Unless you have records on it from the PO.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Thanks