New Member in the Valley of the Sun

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Member in the Valley of the Sun

Hey all, just wanted to do a quick intro here.

I am a new JC Forum member residing in paradise here in sunny AZ. I am not a native to AZ, having been born in Boston General Hospital oh so many years ago, and retiring from the Great State of New Hampshire (Cow Hampshire to those who know it), almost 11 years ago. My initial plan was to move out here right after retirement, but circumstances forced me to move to hell, I mean Minnesota (Minne-Snowta) for almost 8 years. Finally, 3 years ago, I made it here.

I currently reside in Anthem, AZ but will be moving to New River in a week or so. I got fed up with the HOA and bastard neighbors (complaining about my truck, my motorcycle, my garage door being up and me actually working on my vehicles in plain view!!! oh my!!!!). In New River the new house actually abuts the Tonto National Forest (where I do most of my camping and hunting) and so those that know it, realize it's a great place for Jeep'n.

Back in the Granite State (NH) I owned two Wranglers (yes, with round headlights) and loved them. One was wrecked by one of the kids (Let's see how far I can drive with my eyes closed!..) and the other we had to sell when in MN to get a mini van (yup, become part of the mini van mafia!) when suddenly having to raised grandchildren.

Now, after my princess bride totaled her convertible at the end of January, then blew up my Dodge Ram truck (I loved that truck) three weeks ago, I was lucky enough to buy a beautiful 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited off of a friend in the country club. I must say, I have never owned a vehicle with such luxury. This guy was meticulous in his care and maintenance and the leather interior looks brand new. It has the Jeep road and trail navigation system, moon roof, 10 cd changer and all that stuff. He gave it to me for a good price and so far, I love driving it.

I was out on a trail off of Bloody Basin Road when I ran across a guy on a quad who was astonished at how far I had come in a truck, so I am convinced, that with a few suspension / lift mods, this Cherokee will do all that an more, since it's not as long or wide as the truck was. Can't wait to get some AZ pinstriping on it

I get better gas mileage than my truck, it's more comfortable, I can tow my trailer with my side by side or bike in it, and the missus likes it because she can actually park it without having a meltdown like she would with the truck.
Of course as soon as possible after our new house move, I will be getting her another vehicle so she won't be driving the Cherokee anymore!

I look forward to reading your posts on here, learning more about this Cherokee and best of all, getting ideas and advice as to what works and what doesn't.

So, for now, that's about it...Carry on

Last edited by roaddawg; 03-29-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Hi and welcome from over the pond, a nice introduction their.
You sound well chuffed with the xj, hope it continues to make you happy.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site it's great to have you here

Tony
Old 03-31-2015, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Welcome to cherokeeForum man!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 PM

Hellos from Tolleson roaddawg.

Did you make it all the way to Sheep Bridge?

I've driven easy back roads on our DD, a stock 2010 Patriot; Schnebly, Castle Hot Springs, Schultz Pass to name a few.

We quickly realized we need a high clearance vehicle so we bought a 2000 XJ.

You a member of the VJC forum here in AZ (Virtual Jeep Club) ?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from tucson
Old 07-05-2015, 01:17 AM

I've made it to Sheep bridge, but I did that in my RZR. I camped out along a creek probably about 18 miles from the river. Used the RZR to expolore and finally discovered Sheep bridge.

Been to Crown King, Verde hot springs, and a few more places. Just moved to New River and my property backs up to the Tonto National Forest. There are trail literally a hundred yards away I can access with a 4 wheeler. I have gone out on horseback, but not in a 4 wheeler yet. Now I can hunt right out my back (and front) door.