New Cherokee Wagoneer in Baltimore!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Default New Cherokee Wagoneer in Baltimore!

Scooped myself up a 1990 Cherokee, Wagoneer Limited trim. Probably the best CL pull I've ever managed. 135k on the dash, only spot of rust is at the bottom of the rear passenger door, and it's not bad at all.

Currently tagged historic, bought myself the necessaries for a quick tune up while I wait to see if anything major is wrong after this inspection.

My next move after ensuring all the mechanical bits are in line is to clean that interior up and give her a good polish.

I can't find the link to update a profile, though I am on mobile and it might just not be there in this view.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum. How much did u pay for it, if u don't mind me asking?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Welcome to the forum. How much did u pay for it, if u don't mind me asking?
I do not! 1400. Needed a little work but I knocked out a lot of it today. It would have passed inspection save for locked rear brakes and loose ball joints. Today it got a new air filter, lights in the rear, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, reseated the hood, beat out some dents. Eventful day. Was firing on five cylinders when I bought it (hadn't realised this until I saw the #6 cylinder had the spark boot completely off it, I thought it was idling rough because the wire insulation was so beat. Like, arcing to my hand beat) and now we're on a smooth six!

Had my first and second experience with Jeep culture today. First, my neighbor (whom I'd not talked to up to this point) pulled in to my driveway while I was doing my work and introduced himself and followed that with, "I know every single part on these." Long story short, I'm buying moog tie rods/ends/every joint/every bushing and a track bar and he's installing them for 300, then go over all the problem areas he knows about to see if I need anything else. He was a solid find, he had five calls about work he was doing on other jeeps in the hour I was talking to him. After this I'm doing a cat delete and running the exhaust through a flowmaster, probably.

Second, someone left 5$ on my windshield for whatever reason, probably because I drive a kick *** jeep
Old 11-06-2015, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Haha or he thought u needed the money to fix it and felt bad for you. Haha. $1400 is pretty good deal. Glad u got it

Here starts the addiction
Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Haha or he thought u needed the money to fix it and felt bad for you. Haha. $1400 is pretty good deal. Glad u got it

Here starts the addiction
Yesss I'm already all over this thing. I just want to drive drive drive. This is the first vehicle I've bought where I had the money to complete it ahead of time ha ha. It helps that it's so cheap to work on! This thing may as well be a civic as far as operating costs are concerned so far.

After thirty minutes of beating on the hood arm I almost gave up and made my first junk yard run for this thing. It was siezed to **** and kept the hood from raising more than a foot. Just took it getting beat with gusto to open it up ha ha.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome from England.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

pics? i love those old waggys.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Welcome to CF!
Old 11-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Year: 2020

Nice find, as you will soon find out it becomes a addicition.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:37 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

any pics?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by caged
pics? i love those old waggys.
I'll grab some when I go out to take a closer look at the window seals.

So far I've done:

Upper and lower ball joints
End links
Steering stabiliser
Front/rear shocks
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar
Rebuilt steering box

All moog or RC for that stuff, I know I'm forgetting things because I definitely bought more rubber bits (no they arent actually rubber) than those bushings ha ha.

Rotors, disks, shoes, pads, rear brake lines, cylinders, self adjusting kit, completely new hardware (as far as springs and stuff), welded a new back plate, everything was greased/tightened up. I'm still getting some kick back in my pedal that I think is from the old ABS working normally but that generally goes away if I pump the brakes some when i first start up. I'll have to record the sound and let you guys take a crack at it.

Wearever more or less on all those bits.

That covered everything mechanical it had wrong with it. My idle is still a little rough, but i'm waiting on a new air tool so i can get those tork screws that hold the air box tube to my throttle body and hopefully not break them. I still want to do new springs and leaves, but those aren't necessary.

Next up: remove headboard and coat in rhinoliner, reinstall. Bought one of the two sound bars I'm adding, so I'll set that up. Window seals all around are bad (the bottoms of my rear doors are rusted through) so I'm gonna pull them soon. After that, gonna weld new door lowers and paint.

My plans for the interior are to leave the roof console wrapped in the red roof liner it's in, and the red carpet up at the front seats. Gonna pull the rear seat and carpetting, build something so it sits flat, and coat that and the headboard in rhinoliner. Should look solid and it'll make cleaning up after camping much easier.

Took it 500 miles round trip to camp after I finished up the brakes and it drives more smoothly than my girlfriend's new sentra. Just turned over to 137k.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kung Fuhrer
I'll grab some when I go out to take a closer look at the window seals.

So far I've done:

Upper and lower ball joints
End links
Steering stabiliser
Front/rear shocks
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar
Rebuilt steering box

All moog or RC for that stuff, I know I'm forgetting things because I definitely bought more rubber bits (no they arent actually rubber) than those bushings ha ha.

Rotors, disks, shoes, pads, rear brake lines, cylinders, self adjusting kit, completely new hardware (as far as springs and stuff), welded a new back plate, everything was greased/tightened up. I'm still getting some kick back in my pedal that I think is from the old ABS working normally but that generally goes away if I pump the brakes some when i first start up. I'll have to record the sound and let you guys take a crack at it.

Wearever more or less on all those bits.

That covered everything mechanical it had wrong with it. My idle is still a little rough, but i'm waiting on a new air tool so i can get those tork screws that hold the air box tube to my throttle body and hopefully not break them. I still want to do new springs and leaves, but those aren't necessary.

Next up: remove headboard and coat in rhinoliner, reinstall. Bought one of the two sound bars I'm adding, so I'll set that up. Window seals all around are bad (the bottoms of my rear doors are rusted through) so I'm gonna pull them soon. After that, gonna weld new door lowers and paint.

My plans for the interior are to leave the roof console wrapped in the red roof liner it's in, and the red carpet up at the front seats. Gonna pull the rear seat and carpetting, build something so it sits flat, and coat that and the headboard in rhinoliner. Should look solid and it'll make cleaning up after camping much easier.

Took it 500 miles round trip to camp after I finished up the brakes and it drives more smoothly than my girlfriend's new sentra. Just turned over to 137k.
Don't worry about the wood when I paint, that's staying! I'm either gonna match it to the beautiful burgundy wine color it is, or the old Ford green you would see on a f100. Ought to look damn fine with that paneling.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:49 PM

Don't worry about the wood when I paint, that's staying! I'm either gonna match it to the beautiful burgundy wine color it is, or the old Ford green you would see on a f100. Ought to look damn fine with that paneling.
*sigh*

Did some basic stuff today. Coolant flush, ran some clr in to my heater core (I have heat now!). Little Lucas stabiliser. Got all that done and noticed a leaking fuel injector. Looks like I'll be swapping in neon or 5.0 injectors.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:51 PM

*sigh*

Did some basic stuff today. Coolant flush, ran some clr in to my heater core (I have heat now!). Little Lucas stabiliser. Got all that done and noticed a leaking fuel injector. Looks like I'll be swapping in neon or 5.0 injectors.
The plus side of knowing Jeep people is that those 5.0 injectors will be in tonight
Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 AM

Welcome to the great Cherokee community.