More of a re-introduction, actually.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default More of a re-introduction, actually.

I joined awhile back, and have since sold my Jeep. It was a black '99 4x4 auto with the 4.0. And rust. And more rust. And... You get the point. I could not turn a wrench on the stupid thing without it shearing off the bolt, crumbling to dust, or just plain staying there. It finally made me so angry that I sold it. Sealed the deal 12 hours after I put it on Craigslist.

After two weeks, I finally found another.

It's a red '95 4x4 with an AX-15, and an 8.25". I bought it for $1250. It was hit by a bull before I got it, so it has a dent in the door and front fender, along with the part of the axle housing that hold the steering knuckle being bent. It leaks oil, and one of the doors doesn't open. The hatch is cracked. (Two 4 inch long cracks on the inside of the hatch.) And I've seen tires in better condition laying, shredded, on the ground in playgrounds. There is mold on the front passenger floorboard, where the bent door let in water. The P.O. didn't clean out the inside before selling it. There are dark stains, soda or... blood???, on the floor and seats, and what I'm pretty sure is dried vomit in the backseat floorboard.

However, I am so glad to have a Jeep again that I don't care about any of this.

I have already gone with my dad to get parts from another 1995 XJ.
I have (waiting to be put on/in):
-Both axles. The parts Jeep was an auto, so... kill two Hummers with one trail, the 3.55's will let me run 33's with stock performance.
-Fender
-Door
-All the seats, which came from a '99 so they're even better.
-Fan shroud and electric fan
-Rear wiper
All for $400!

Plans are:
-4.5" lift (Rough Country is most likely, budget is limited)
-33x12.50x15 Mud Claws (Big-O cheap Cooper-made MT)
-Cragar Soft 8's (Yes, they're overused, but they look soooo good on a red XJ!)
-My dad plans to get a welder, and teach me to weld, so we can both make our own bumpers.
-Eventually there's an engine rebuild necessary (rust in oil and coolant) and the stroker fairy will come to my Jeep (That just don't sound right!)
Attached Thumbnails More of a re-introduction, actually.-image3.jpg   More of a re-introduction, actually.-image5.jpg   More of a re-introduction, actually.-image4.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 PM

I have already removed the old seats and vacuumed it. Why would you sell anything with this much mess in it? When I removed the center console later, I found a Jamaican One Dollar coin, pretty cool.

Does any one know how difficult it is to swap in a gauge with, you know GAUGES!? It's a manual and there's no tach, and everything is a dummy light. It's stupid.
And the center console is broken in multiple places.

Due to budget constraints, my wheels/tires will be postponed. Until then I will be using the tires my dad will put on his ZJ. They're coming in this weekend and will go on after the axle swap. They're Geolander ATS's in 31x10.50x15. I know you aren't supposed to run 31's without a lift, but it has to have tires, and we can't buy an extra set. I assume that if I go all Thor on the pinch weld (I think that's what it's called.) and don't flex it or turn all the way, it should be okay. Correct? Oh, and these are stock 15x7 steelies. (I feel stupid even asking.)

Afterthought:
How about: BEST J or some shortened form of REALJEEP for a license plate?

P.S.- I forgot to add an Aussie locker to the To-Do list.
Attached Thumbnails More of a re-introduction, actually.-image11.jpg   More of a re-introduction, actually.-image13.jpg   More of a re-introduction, actually.-image14.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I actually had a similar problem with the gauges on my '01 XJ. The P.O. had the same sort of stupid light gauges installed and I have a 5-speed as well. I actually traded my buddy for his gauges which actually included a tach and real needles.

I didn't change them myself, but from what my buddy told me, it is a very simple fix. I would imagine it is just a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting some connections to the computer.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM

I thought it would be more difficult. Is it different on my OBD-1 '95?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Doesn't look too bad. I think if you get the dash cluster w/gauges from another '95-'96 XJ from a JY it should work in yours. Also you can find another console on craig's list or ebay pretty cheap.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Welcome to our forum!