Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shucks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6
Unhappy Shucks.

Another 0331 bites the dust. I've been doing a lot of getting-ready-for-summer maintenance and noticed that my coolant was down a little bit. I had added maybe a quart of coolant throughout the winter and thought I should take a gander. Didn't like what I found. Time to start sourcing a new head I guess.

Thought I would just post a picture of this in case anyone who might think they have a crack knows what it can look like. I had no idea that it would be so apparent, actually. Turned the car on and watched it seep out of a 2" long crack. This picture is right below the oil filler cap.

Anyone have a rough estimate on the time it takes to replace it?

edit: I am from the grand rapids area, does anyone know any mechanic that they trust with such a repair? I normally do all of my own work, but I don't have a garage at my apartment complex and would prefer to keep the car out of the elements while half of the engine was removed.
Attached Thumbnails Shucks.-coolant.jpg  

Last edited by XJ-kee; 04-10-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Listed
Old 04-10-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

To replace the head takes a day with hand tools. I only say because as we all know, the XJ will sometimes throw you a curve ball. Estimate between 3-5 hours if you take your time and make sure you don't miss anything. Look up head bolt tq specs, along with the pattern to tighten those bolts. When installing the valve cover always start from the rear and work your way forward. Good luck
Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 PM

You in the grand rapids mi area?!?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by docmedpros
To replace the head takes a day with hand tools. I only say because as we all know, the XJ will sometimes throw you a curve ball. Estimate between 3-5 hours if you take your time and make sure you don't miss anything. Look up head bolt tq specs, along with the pattern to tighten those bolts. When installing the valve cover always start from the rear and work your way forward. Good luck
Thanks. I'm trying to locate a write-up, as I'm sure one is out there, to see if I can get this done. Been working on cars since I was 14 so I'm not stranger to repairs but my apartment complex makes it kind of difficult. Never attempted one as involved as this looks, though.

Last edited by XJ-kee; 04-10-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't recommend in a shop in your area, but I can recommend a Clearwater cylinder head. I ordered mine last month. It was $440 delivered to my door. It's a brand new casting with brand new valves. The valve springs are used, but they check them before they install them.

As you are likely aware, the head from Clearwater is an improved casting designed to eliminate the cracking problem. Mine has been running for only about a month, but so far, it's been great.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6

Little to far away to offer any help, lol.
Other than it pretty much takes two guys to get it out and in, isn't that bad of a job.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

It may be time and less expensive in the long run for a new engine, ethylene glycol and bearings don't play well together.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

This. Even if your oil pressure is OK for now, the damage has probably already been done over the winter, before you discovered the crack.

I guess I've always figured that by the time and money has been spent to do just the head, it's not a whole lot of more trouble to just get the whole thing out and rebuild it. Might be easier to take off the accessories while the engine is out and on a stand.

I don't like putting a new head on a worn engine.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 04-11-2015 at 10:14 AM.