Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another lift question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Yet another lift question

Okay, so I don't have a year to search through all the "lift" related posts.

Can anyone of my Cherokee brethren on here either list or provide a link to a post that details everything you need for installing a lift.

What I am looking to do:

1997 Cherokee XJ
First mod - upgraded injectors.
2nd mod - wanting to install 3-4" lift......don't want or need really tall tires on this one.

Again, my exact question is this.......can anyone provide a complete list of all parts that are absolute "have to" be changed out/upgraded for such a small lift?

I've read so much about changing control arms, linkage, u joints, etc......I'm lost as to what really needs to be changed out for such a low lift. I am a decent shade tree mechanic and do pretty much all my own wrenching on this baby and I'm still learning new stuff all the time. Looking to my fellow Cherokee lovers for education and instruction.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Last edited by coolbrz64; 01-25-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Simple changes
Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude.....

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

3 inches of lift, the basics would be:

new front coil springs
new lower control arms
add a leaf or leaf packs for rear
new shocks for 3" of lift
track bar bracket to move track bar over 3/4" or just drill a new hole
maybe some sway bar brackets to move your sway bar forwardhttp://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-670x.html

RC has just what you need:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-670x.html

Last edited by Marks2000XJ; 01-25-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad

Thanks dude but this is what I was talking about. Days of reading nothing but what people have put on their Cherokee, not what "has to" be put on it.......but hey I do appreciate the effort!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Marks2000XJ
3 inches of lift, the basics would be:

new front coil springs
new lower control arms
maybe some sway bar brackets to move your sway bar forwardhttp://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-670x.html

THANKS!!!! Now this is what I was looking for!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If your looking for cheap you can use spacers for the front coils and extended shackles for the rear for about $100-150. That was what mine had on it when I bought it, removed it shortly afterward and went with a full spring pack lift kit.

Name:  1999JeepXJ003_zps97aaa2d1.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  123.2 KB

Here is what it looked like then on a set of 31's that came on it, it's a 3" lift.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by coolbrz64
Thanks dude but this is what I was talking about. Days of reading nothing but what people have put on their Cherokee, not what "has to" be put on it.......but hey I do appreciate the effort!!!
Sarcasm?!?!?
Really?

It's not a "Bring-n-Brag" Thread, it's an ongoing thread for questions just like yours.

How about going to the thread and using the SEARCH THIS THREAD feature? You could have had the info you want and had your parts ordered by now.

Best of luck with your upgrades.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

Sarcasm?!?!?
Really?

It's not a "Bring-n-Brag" Thread, it's an ongoing thread for questions just like yours.

How about going to the thread and using the SEARCH THIS THREAD feature? You could have had the info you want and had your parts ordered by now.

Ever notice how so many of these new threads are revolving questions? People are just too lazy to search..
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

I'm going to chalk it up to not being familiar with the forum functions/features.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM

Default No questions allowed, just attack the newbies!!!

Sarcasm?!?!?
Really?

This is crazy, this is the 2nd time I've been attacked on this site for asking a simple question. One person was thoughtful enough to just answer the question and I'm sure it took him all of 2 minutes (if that). Obviously it wasn't that difficult for someone to throw me a bone and answer my question and for that I thank you Marks2000XJ.

Marks2000XJ 3 inches of lift, the basics would be:

new front coil springs
new lower control arms

Now did his post look like a lot of trouble? NO....and it answered me in full and without bashing on me.

I did use the "search this thread" feature and all I got were more and more post about what people have done and questions about what they should do about little problems that came from what they did. I wanted a simple list of parts that should absolutely be changed when doing a small lift, nothing more but at the same time nothing less.

Geesh, this site is for people to help one another and everyone of "the regulars" seems to think that since a question has been asked once already that should be enough, even though it was 3 years ago and you have to read through 2000 posts for, at best, an unclear answer to your question, or at least this one in particular. Is it a crime to just ask? If I knew what to tell someone I would for sure just help out instead of telling them to quit being lazy and search it out....it only takes 3 days or so to find your answer.

You know I tried to be nice about it but you seem to not have read my original post very well. I stated that I had read all about so many different things to change/upgrade concerning lift kits. To be honest the "all lift questions go here section" is most just a bunch of threads on what people have done to their rig which was not answering my question in the absolute terms I wanted to hear. I'm not lazy, I did my searching to no result in answering my question directly.

As far as your last comment.....you would be correct. I am inexperienced on here and although I've gained a lot of knowledge about my Cherokee from this site I have not spent a lot of time on here and I'm still unsure of some of the etiquette needed to navigate properly.

However, when a person wants something spelled out for them, not just a bunch of posts from other "dudes" telling what they did to their rig is it so wrong to just ask?

Now with that said.......can't we all just get along?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 PM

This video came in handy when I installed my lift.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

What you need depends on what you're doing with the Jeep imo. If you just want it taller to go mall crawling, buy a kit and be done with it. If you're wheeling it more than you're driving it on the road, and want the best performance possible, you'll want to do things a little different. I'm at roughly 2.5-3" of lift now, with new springs front and rear, new shackles on the rear, 4.5" lift shocks, extended bumpstops, new upper and lower control arms, extended brake lines, adjustable track bar, and I still don't have everything I feel I need to be done with my suspension and make it perform as well as I want it to.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by coolbrz64
This is crazy, this is the 2nd time I've been attacked on this site for asking a simple question. One person was thoughtful enough to just answer the question and I'm sure it took him all of 2 minutes (if that). Obviously it wasn't that difficult for someone to throw me a bone and answer my question and for that I thank you Marks2000XJ.

Marks2000XJ 3 inches of lift, the basics would be:

new front coil springs
new lower control arms

Now did his post look like a lot of trouble? NO....and it answered me in full and without bashing on me.

I did use the "search this thread" feature and all I got were more and more post about what people have done and questions about what they should do about little problems that came from what they did. I wanted a simple list of parts that should absolutely be changed when doing a small lift, nothing more but at the same time nothing less.

Geesh, this site is for people to help one another and everyone of "the regulars" seems to think that since a question has been asked once already that should be enough, even though it was 3 years ago and you have to read through 2000 posts for, at best, an unclear answer to your question, or at least this one in particular. Is it a crime to just ask? If I knew what to tell someone I would for sure just help out instead of telling them to quit being lazy and search it out....it only takes 3 days or so to find your answer.

You know I tried to be nice about it but you seem to not have read my original post very well. I stated that I had read all about so many different things to change/upgrade concerning lift kits. To be honest the "all lift questions go here section" is most just a bunch of threads on what people have done to their rig which was not answering my question in the absolute terms I wanted to hear. I'm not lazy, I did my searching to no result in answering my question directly.

As far as your last comment.....you would be correct. I am inexperienced on here and although I've gained a lot of knowledge about my Cherokee from this site I have not spent a lot of time on here and I'm still unsure of some of the etiquette needed to navigate properly.

However, when a person wants something spelled out for them, not just a bunch of posts from other "dudes" telling what they did to their rig is it so wrong to just ask?

Now with that said.......can't we all just get along?
Attacked? No one attacked you.

I gave you a link to a thread, one that has all the info you need.....and wished you good luck with your upgrades.

Where exactly is the attack?

W,JW!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Im not usually one of the "Search *****" myself because sometimes searching can bring up 10x what I really need, sure the answer is in there somewhere but getting through to unwanted info to get to what I need can be a chore. In this case though the fact that there is a specific thread dedicated to this type of question already, that even if you didnt have time to read through, which is understandable, that thread is where the question probably should have been posted. That being said what you need is subjective, and a matter of opinion. One person may think you need full leafs and a SYE for 3 inches, another will say all you need is add a leafs and spring spacers. It helps to read a variety of opinions and make up your mind for yourself.