Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another cooling question 87 renix cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 litter
Default Yet another cooling question 87 renix cherokee

I am sure it has already been addressed, I search the forum and could not find the answer.

SOOOOOOO
I have determined that my electrical fan works. Jumpped it to battery and it came right to life. So my next step is to check the wiring back to the coolant temp switch, which is what the Haynes manual says. My question is this. Is the coolant temerature switch the same as the coolant temp sending unit?

Jon
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: Inline Six

If its anything like my 1990 XJ the temperature switch should be located on the lower drivers side back face of the radiator. Mine has a brass end that screws into the radiator. Something that I have done to that part of the system was put in a manual override switch in the cab for the AUX Fan. I strung wires from the relay that turns your AUX Fan on and off, to a switch in the cab, and then to ground. Now when I am off roading and I'm worried about the temp, I can throw the switch, turning on the AUX Fan.

Along with this, you may want to go to a near by junk yard and get a puke tank from another car. I found one off of some sports car and connected it to the fitting coming off of your expansion tank (dumb design in the first place!). When the engine gets hot, water expands and eventually pukes out of the expansion tank onto the ground. When I installed the puke tank into the system I filled it 3/4 of the way full and filled the expansion tank. After running the engine I had to fill the puke tank again. This told me that my cooling system in the engine wasn't completely full. Ever since this install and installing Lebaron Hood Vents, my engine has NEVER over heated. Its only been about a month so far, but I have gone wheeling in 70+ weather and I have had no problems since.

Just an idea for you, if you want more explanation or pics I can give them to you. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the info Ging, my isnt overheating now that I got the volvo cap on the puke tank. Your right, DUMB system. Anyway, working on the efan trying to get it up and going. Motor is good, so just back tracking from there.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hookmiester
Thanks for the info Ging, my isnt overheating now that I got the volvo cap on the puke tank. Your right, DUMB system. Anyway, working on the efan trying to get it up and going. Motor is good, so just back tracking from there.
Good deal on the Volvo cap. Do this. Unplug the fan switch from the radiator. It's right where Nakedginger described. Cross the terminals in the harness plug. With the key on, the fan should kick on.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM

If that works, can I just leave it that way?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hookmiester
If that works, can I just leave it that way?
You could. I wouldn't. We're using that procedure as a diagnostic tool at this point. Post up your results.