Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t/case help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default t/case help?

Ok, so I rammed a log at hyper speed with my front passenger side tire. I have a 91 xj with 6.5 inches of lift, and a t-case drop.
First thing I did was dent the rim and explode the tire, but after that it wouldn't go into four wheel... except the first time I tried it after I got the new tire on, it went in easily. After checking it out, I saw my shift linkage was at a wild angle, so i bought a rough country linkage drop bracket. Works well, but it is a crime to sell at that price. Anyways, my linkage is all level now, and I still cant get the lever to actuate4 wheel. (I tried adjusting) I tried manually rotating the t/case arm with a wrench on the nut the holds the arm in, and when rotated slightly, it simply pops, but really doesnt un thread. Any suggestions? Im just really hoping someone knows my situation and has a better solution that dropping and splitting my t/case.
So, advice is welcome, ill take it all, good bad and ugly. Thank you for your time.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

So if you disconnect the linkage completely, put the trans in neutral, does the t case shift through the gears fine and stay in gear? If yes, then it is a linkage problem and we can help you fix that. If no, then it is a problem with the internals of the case.