Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ Steering Stabilizer Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ Steering Stabilizer Mounting

Ok, a few questions

I don't want to argue the virtue of a steering stabilizer but just asking for a little advice. I have the parts and they are going to be put on, so please let's save the debate. 2000 Cherokee XJ Sport.

I have a Rubicon Express steering shock to put on, mounted to the stock location on the body side and to the drag link with a Ruff Stuff bracket similar to the picture. This is being done to eliminate bump steer as I replaced the front stock suspension with a Rustys 1 Ton conversion kit.

Mounting like this (internet Picture)

Ruff Stuff Aftermarket Bracket

Question;
Can I use the stock frame mount location for the frame end? Has anyone done this without the use of an aftermarket frame side bracket? (The picture says yes)

How far should I pull the shock rod out to ensure nonbinding travel in both left and right direction? Is there a "standard" lenght?

With the Ruff Stuff bracket the shock body lines up correctly on both ends so just trying to get some confirmation on shock shaft lenght.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by MotoBoss; 08-15-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Yep, Used to have Rusty's steering and a stabilizer with a similar bracket. For setup, Turn the wheels all the way passenger and mount the stabilizer 1/2"-1" from being fully collapsed. That way it never bottoms out and you should have full travel with consistent damping. Turn all the way driver to be sure the damper extends fully without binding and you are good to go.

on a side note: ditched the rustys steering because there was no way to mitigate bump steer and wandering. this was with all new components, no play anywhere and a good alignment. Replaced Rusty junk with basic v8 ZJ steering and i could not be happier. Wished i scrapped the rustys stuff sooner/
Old 08-15-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by wrongwheeldrive
Yep, Used to have Rusty's steering and a stabilizer with a similar bracket. For setup, Turn the wheels all the way passenger and mount the stabilizer 1/2"-1" from being fully collapsed. That way it never bottoms out and you should have full travel with consistent damping. Turn all the way driver to be sure the damper extends fully without binding and you are good to go.

on a side note: ditched the rustys steering because there was no way to mitigate bump steer and wandering. this was with all new components, no play anywhere and a good alignment. Replaced Rusty junk with basic v8 ZJ steering and i could not be happier. Wished i scrapped the rustys stuff sooner/
Thanks for the help. That's what I figured I need to do to set it up. Yeah I'm having the same issue with virtually everything brand new and proper alignment. If I wasn't in so deep already I'd start over the same way you did. It's not reeeeeeal bad but not as tight as stock and the slightly off center steering wheel really chaps my cheeks.

The knuckles had to be reamed in the conversion so did you have to replace the knuckles too?

Thanks again for your reply, at least I'm on the right path.

Last edited by MotoBoss; 08-15-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM

I got my XJ with Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion seen here:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...onversion.html

does not require reaming.

Rebuilt it twice with new tie rod ends, multiple alignments, replaced the steering damper, tried to retrofit The Cure from Ruff Stuff, and nothing helped on center wandering, tramilining, tie rod roll, and gnarly bump steer. Just a heads-up, not saying you will have those problems with the 1-ton kit, but it sounds like it.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by wrongwheeldrive
I got my XJ with Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion seen here:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...onversion.html

does not require reaming.

Rebuilt it twice with new tie rod ends, multiple alignments, replaced the steering damper, tried to retrofit The Cure from Ruff Stuff, and nothing helped on center wandering, tramilining, tie rod roll, and gnarly bump steer. Just a heads-up, not saying you will have those problems with the 1-ton kit, but it sounds like it.
geezzzzz, thanks. I think
Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Got the steering shock mounted today and it has certainly made a difference. I like it. Not 100% stock feel and alignment but much better. I can live with it,,,,for now.

Thanks hour the help.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MotoBoss
Got the steering shock mounted today and it has certainly made a difference. I like it. Not 100% stock feel and alignment but much better. I can live with it,,,,for now.

Thanks hour the help.
No worries! Best of luck.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:32 PM

Got it!