Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie underwhelmed with XJ capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default newbie underwhelmed with XJ capabilities

I bought a 98 XJ a few months ago. 4.0L, AW4, 4 Dr, 231TC, D30 High Pinion front, 8.25 rear. 355 gears. 94k miles. It hasd a 4" RC lift and 17" Rubicon Take-off (32"ish) rims and BFG MT from previous owner. I added front sway bar disconnects and bushwhacker flat style cut-out fender flares as well as rear shackle brackets. My general thought was to maximize flex to help compensate for my open diffs. Been using it as my daily driver on my 9 mile commute to-from work for the past few months. Finally got a chance today to disconnect the sway bar and went into a small gravel pit on my property. While I thought I had "realistic" expectations of what the XJ would do, I was extremely disappointed. As you can see from the pics, I think I am getting pretty good flex but as soon as one tire would slip in the sandy/graveling soil, the XJ would stop and the BFGs would dig in (front and/or rear) so I know "4wd" (more like 1wd x 2) was working. I even tried a relatively mild gravely slope about 4' high and less than a 30 degree angle and it was a no go- as soon as the rear tires touched the slope I was done. I was in 4 low and crawling. Not really one to hammer on my stuff and looked forward to crawling the XJ so didn't want to hit the obstacles with any real speed. I realize the crawling on gravel may be part of the issue but even when I was flexing on a grassy hump it simply stopped as soon as my "high" front wheel touched a basketball size rock I was hoping to crawl up onto (low side front tire just dug in). I knew open diffs were a significant disadvantage but wow, my wifes stock '15 trailhawk would outcrawl this XJ all day long. While I know it's not fair to compare a 1200# UTV to the XJ, my '13 Ranger 900 has crawled over these same "obstacles" dozens of times without breathing heavy. I've got about $5500 in the XJ. After the lack luster performance I saw tonight I feel like I'm at a crossroads. The one think I did not do was air down the tires but I'm not sure that would have radically changed the results. I will tinker but not comfortable with tackling lockers, re-gearing, etc. I'm guessing I'm looking at $1200 to $1500+ to have someone install even basic lockers or limited slip in both ends. Am I missing anything obvious or are my expectations for an XJ with open diffs unrealistic? I need a SYE (probably do myself) and driveshaft for another $550 or so. Front bumper, winch, etc. I can see pushing $10K in a vehicle I could likely only sell for $5K and still being disappointed. Help me get excited again about my XJ.
The photos are both sides of the XJ where is stopped as I crawled up a grassing hump. Passenger side front and Driver side rear both spun and it was all done singing.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Air your tires down and watch it crawl and grab much better.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Yeah.... I dunno know what to tell you there man. Open diffs arent great, but ive tackled much worse terrain than that in stock XJs. And much MUCH worse in modded ones.

Air the tires down, that'll help. Keep it moving, no open diff rig likes to drag its feet over loose/slick ground. "Crawling" is for lockers, "wheeling" is for open diffs.

Dont worry bout the front, just pop for an LSD for the rear, makes a big difference. But realy and truly, looking at those pics, i dont know how even a stock XJ could get stuck on that.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I put front and rear Spartan lockers in mine for $600, installation was easy and it makes a huge difference. Even if you just put a locker in the rear it would help out allot.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Also driving with open diffs takes a little bit of skills, in the picture you are unloading you suspension on opposite corners, any open diff vehicle will get stuck like that. Try to tackle the obstacle more straight than at an angle and it will do much better, the key is to try and keep all 4 wheels on the ground.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:43 PM

Year: 94

Your expectations are too high for open diffs. You have it pretty twisted up there like other guys have said, so all the weight is off the tires. I personally would install a front locker before messing with the rear. Front tires are first point of contact and a locked front end will help pull you up and over.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

I am not trying to start a front vs rear locker debate, but I would do a rear locker first because it is easier and you would get more benefit from it since you would have the extra traction in 2wd also. For pure off road use in 4x4 a front locker may be better than just a rear locker but I haven't really tested that. Not to mention driving in 4x4 in the snow with a front locker can make things interesting, where as a rear locker handles great in 4x4.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:08 PM

Lol we will agree to disagree. I will also warn you (this will start another debate), if you do decide to lock the rear avoid a "lunch box" locker. Don't get me wrong, they are great and cheap. I actually run one, but they are very annoying on a daily driver rig. Get you a limited slip for the rear.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

I have a lunchbox locker in the rear and you can hardly tell it's back there, not annoying at all, other people that have driven my Jeep didn't even notice it.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 PM

I run an Aussie in the rear and it's loud and very noticeable. I cannot compare to your Spartan.

Last edited by 94XJCherokee; 08-23-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Also driving with open diffs takes a little bit of skills, in the picture you are unloading you suspension on opposite corners, any open diff vehicle will get stuck like that. Try to tackle the obstacle more straight than at an angle and it will do much better, the key is to try and keep all 4 wheels on the ground.
Yeh, I did have it like that on purpose... a bit of natural RTI ramp to see how far it would flex. I figured that might happen but thought enough flex would keep the tires on the ground on a 2-3' high "****". Figuring the flex was a big part of the issue with the open diff, I then went to the gravel-ish slope. That was a "horizontally level" obstacle with no real need to flex the suspension and tires on each side (drivers and passenger) were essentially equally loaded and it still diffed out and stopped...
Old 08-23-2018, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 94XJCherokee
I run an Aussie in the rear and it's loud and very noticeable. I cannot compare to your Spartan.
Maybe try some thicker gear oil, I run 85w140 in my axles.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Very valid points as far as your approach. I was looking more at the hill/mound itself. But while you netted some great flex pics, lol, its like intentionally choosing the worst possible route.

Next time you take her out, dont try to flex her out. Look at the terrain, and just drive over it. My gold XJ had front/rear open diffs, and i climbed ridgelines that were not only loose rock, but so steep i had butt-pucker moments where i felt like she was gonna tip backwards.

But she always made the climbs. With any rig, but ESPECIALLY with open diffs, pick your line, keep her moving, and keep your tires planted as much as possible.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

OP, what tire pressures are you running?

I would be 26 max on those tires.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

you need less air , more lockers and more skill

Quick Reply: newbie underwhelmed with XJ capabilities