Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A winch thats compatible with my ARB bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default A winch thats compatible with my ARB bumper?

i cant seem to find a winch within a reasonable price range that will fit my arb front bumper on my 00 xj. can anyone help me out please??? thanks guys
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

dont all winches have the same mounting locations?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Winches aren't something you want to cheap out on. Don't want to be in BFE and find out the cheap one you bought let you down. With the exception of the Warn rock crawler series and 8274, most any 8k and up will fit.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

i doubt a huge winch (like 12k+) is going to fit. but i'd say the normal 8 and 9k winches will since most have the same bolting pattern. would probably need a non integrated solenoid also. check out arb's website and see if they got any recomended winches. also check out the smittybilt xrc8 winch.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996 & 1988
Engine: 4 Litre

I put in a Promark offroad (formerly Gorilla) 8k in my ARB.
I had to rotate the gearbox so the lever sat at the cutout in the lower edge. I also had to drill new holes in the fair lead so it would move up into the space that the ARB has to fit it.

Had to cut most of the steel out below the oval hole.

This is it installed. Notice the fairlead sits low.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Year: 1989 Base
Engine: 4.0L "Power Tech"

Sorry, no pics.., but I have an ARB bull,('Roo), bar bumper with the actual ARBUSA recommended winch fitment.., a Warn M-8000 winch. Rather than what SpyderJeep had to do, (whew), the Warn fits well within, and the roller are in the middle of the ARB. The only problem with the Warn, similar to SpyderJeep's setup is the control arm/lever would only mount upside down, (which makes reaching it in a swamp filled with snakes, or in thick mud, or in inpacted frozen snow, and ice, a bit of a *****.., SO: One modification is necessary to get the winch arm/lever topside. You must cut, torch, a hole in the top deck of the bumper, about a 3" hole, or so. Then you can undo the screws holding the arm/lever cover assembly, and carefully, (only pulling cover away from the winch motor housing no more than an 1/8th of an inch, or so), twist the cover around 180 degrees. Mount it, and your winch will be out of the weather, (mostly hidden, except for the little electrics box), your control arm/lever will be handy, and you will be one happy camper. Although there is a picture at the following link, it is not accurate, i.e., the Electrics box sits directly on top of the wire, and not like in the picture. Also, the box sits way low, i.e., does not interfere much at all with radiator/grill air flow, i.e, lol, it's even slanted at an angle that enhances better air flow. There are only a few of these left in America, (last I checked around), that were priced low in order to deal with commie copy cats. I think $540. is a good price, especially with free shipping. http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/winc...self-recovery/ Don't wait long, lol, there are eye ***** looking here. Remember the eye ***** are connected to the brain pan, and the brain pan is connected to the hand, and the hand is connected to the keyboard, and the keyboard is connected to the plastic card in cyberspace, and the funds are connected to the web site.., so if you waste time on such a good deal, lol, well...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

ive really enjoyed my xrc8. use it about one or twice a month and never have problems. its never not pulled. its either im moving forward, or the other jeep is coming back!!! it has the universal mounting specs too.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by SpyderJeep
I put in a Promark offroad (formerly Gorilla) 8k in my ARB.
I had to rotate the gearbox so the lever sat at the cutout in the lower edge. I also had to drill new holes in the fair lead so it would move up into the space that the ARB has to fit it.

Had to cut most of the steel out below the oval hole.

This is it installed. Notice the fairlead sits low.

thanks guys... @spyder.... so the winch is facing forward up in the bumper? looks and sounds odd lol... and how much did that winch cost you??? i dont want anything cheap.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996 & 1988
Engine: 4 Litre

I did my research and found it to be the best bang for the buck. I bought it off eBay to save a few bucks BUT you only get a 6 month warranty, so I would go with getting it straight from Promark.
http://www.promarkoffroad.com/truck-...ery-winch.html

If you look at the picture of it on the site, it is a bit deceiving as to how they will mount into the ARB. Looks like even the Warn would mount "odd".
I haven't met anyone else that has a winch in an ARB yet so I can't compare.
I really like how I don't have a wired controller draping across my hood and into the door.

It is a waterproof, wireless unit that fits into the ARB very stealth, for 389 bucks shipped with a one year warranty. They are based out of Minnesota, I think the winches are build over seas.
I will add new pictures if you want to see how the fairlead is up tighter on the front. If you can pop for the extra 100+ for the synthetic and aluminum hawse, do it.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by SpyderJeep
I did my research and found it to be the best bang for the buck. I bought it off eBay to save a few bucks BUT you only get a 6 month warranty, so I would go with getting it straight from Promark.
http://www.promarkoffroad.com/truck-...ery-winch.html

If you look at the picture of it on the site, it is a bit deceiving as to how they will mount into the ARB. Looks like even the Warn would mount "odd".
I haven't met anyone else that has a winch in an ARB yet so I can't compare.
I really like how I don't have a wired controller draping across my hood and into the door.

It is a waterproof, wireless unit that fits into the ARB very stealth, for 389 bucks shipped with a one year warranty. They are based out of Minnesota, I think the winches are build over seas.
I will add new pictures if you want to see how the fairlead is up tighter on the front. If you can pop for the extra 100+ for the synthetic and aluminum hawse, do it.
ok. thanks man. i appreciate the help!