Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tweeked unibody question/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H/O, K&N CAI, bored throttle body, header, 2 1/2 custom exaust w/ Flowmaster 44 O/R
Default Tweeked unibody question/advice

Well, I finally did what I read about so often, tweaked the unibody. Long story short... Really overloaded for a camp trip ( everyone wants to put what they can't fit into their wranglers in with the xj's) including gutter mounted roof rack. That and a bad line on a particular nasty waterfall...end result is slammed down super hard on my JCR rear bumper (hard enough to dent it over an inch cave in) the roof rack compressed and all that weight basically squished the top half. Took it to body shop, and they said because of all the body armor it wouldn't pull out, but the lower frame showed no signs of damage, although there was minor waving in the floor.

Well, from here I decided to go the chop/ removable door rout. Had my cousin chop it at his shop and closed in the end caps. Drove home with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Since then, I removed the rear bumper, and front carpet (rear carpet was removed prior to chop) and prepped( relocated) a bunch of wiring in prep for an open xj.

Here's where the problem comes in. Now, just going down the gutter at my driveway, there is a very loud popping noise coming from the passengers floor. So loud, I don't think there is anyway the carpet was hiding the sound. I can actually see the floor popping in and out. It's in the area of the lower control arm mount. I know that a bumper strengthens the unibody, could taking it off caused this? I have TNT stiffeners but only the center section.

I was planning on sinking some serious $ into having a full exo built and long arming it along with full length stiffeners....I really want to keep this one as I have tons of hours and $ in it, but based on all I've stated, does anyone feel this is a bad idea instead of buying a new one and transferring thousands of $ worth of goodies? If I went that route, I wouldn't be upgrading anything, just basically replacing what I already had. And I really like the idea of the exo, long arms, chopped idea... All thought/ opinions are welcomed and appreciated.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 PM

Engine: 4.0 H/O, K&N CAI, bored throttle body, header, 2 1/2 custom exaust w/ Flowmaster 44 O/R

I also should have added, from underneath there are no visible deformities or cracks or anything that looks out of place.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have any kinda roll cage in it?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

From what I have read you have already taken the roof off correct?
In that case you have seriously affected the integrity of the Unibody "Frame".

Our XJ's do not have a frame like the wronglers for the reason that our body and frame are 1 intragal piece. even the doors and hatch are part of that "Frame"
Have you every parked on an incline, opened the hatch and found that the hatch wouldn't close properly? But once you got it on level ground it closed just fine?

You may not have done permanent damage to the alignment of the vehicle yet. Quit playing around on curbs and clad the boxed sections of your "Frame" with strengtheners and getting that roll cage on. This will be your new "Frame".
After that you will need to have your alignment done again as I'm positive things will move a little.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM

I have only taken off the roof from the rear doors back. 4cuts, left the hatch and window pinch seams in tact. Then we fab 4 end caps at the open areas ( 2 at the rear pillars, and to at the roof line at the pillars) the stress relieved made the doors function pretty close to normal.my point is that after that was done, I drove it home (about 20 miles) with no noise ( even driving home after it happened it drove fine) all I've done is take the bumper off and now there is this very loud and visible popping on the passengers floor on any sort of bump.

I guess the advice I'm looking for is this: I really want to go the whole nine yards with the cage ect. But is there anyway to know if it has more damage than it's worth? I'd hate to sink the cash in it only to find out the first wheeling trip that something is still very wrong ( ie this floor popping) and since that popping wasn't there until I removed the rear bumper, could that alone have caused this noise? I guess one way to find out is to put the bumper back on... I can try this when it gets back from being re-powdered next week... Until then was hoping someone would have some insight into this.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

This is really just a guess, but perhaps because your center section is reinforced and the front is not, the front unirails are allowed to flex a little more and since your floorpan should overlap both sections, perhaps there's a conflict of interest causing the pop. Have you tried flexing it on anything to give it a good test?
Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 PM

Maybe? I just did some test driving ( about a half mile) the pop happened 14 times, and I have discovered it's the slightest of bumps in the road and periodically just when turning. I had my wife run the curb a couple of times (until I got worried she was going to run me over) whith me underneath. It's defiantly happening right where the lower control arm mount is welded on the frame (this is just forward of where the stiffeners stop. Once again this only started once I removed the rear bumper. The front bumper is still on. I have a feeling once the stiffeners and cage are done it will go away, I just hope the 20 miles to the shop are safe!!!! It still drives straight down the road with hands off the steering wheel...
Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM

Ok so I'm not that tech savy, I can only figure out how to post one pic at a time....
Attached Thumbnails Tweeked unibody question/advice-image.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Here is the rear view...if you look close you can see the top is still a little twisted
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 PM

This is shot from underneath where the popping is coming from
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM

Here is the bumper carnage pic
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM

Here is a pic of the pillar behind rear passenger door...if you look close you can see a slight crinkle...there is one behind the drivers as well
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Here is the rear pillar passenger one view. This has been pulled a little.. This was by far the biggest crinkle
Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Forgot pic

Quick Reply: Tweeked unibody question/advice