Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top End Kit + Modest cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.
Default Top End Kit + Modest cam

Alright guys, I haven't been on this forum in a while. I did a wee bit of scrolling and googling. Looking for more insight.

I'm in the market (see tax return), for refreshing my head (valves, springs, lifters, push rods, maybe some porting) and timing chain. Which of course I want to throw a new slightly more aggressive cam in it. Something that will run fine with the bolt-ons I have and in the future a mild 4.6 stroker. Who knows of the best place to get these items at a good price and great quality?

Links to articles are welcome as well!

My info:
  • 4.0 92'
  • Bored Throttle bottle 62mm
  • Neon Injectors
  • Header > 2.25 front pipe>2.25 high flow spun cat > 2.5 thrush muffler> 2.5 mandrel bent tail pipe.
  • K&N slap in filter
  • MSD factory style ignition coil, Accel Wires, Screaming demon cap and rotor (lol), NGK v-power plugs
  • AW4, NP242, 33" 3 inch lift. still 3.55ratio
Old 02-01-2017, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

Id say forget the cam and just save up for the stroker to be honest. Otherwise the biggest seat of the pants power adder you'll get is re-gearing for the larger tires you're running.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If you are looking for better performance, I'd regear.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Doing the top end and nothing to the bottom most of the time spells trouble or the other way around. Hold off till you can do the stroker or everything at the same time.

As said above gears will give you the seat of the pants feel for now and a perfect time for lockers, just figure what size tires your going to run in the end to pick the right set.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Does your engine need rebuilding? Why do you want to refresh your head?

If you want some easy power, I would try Harland Sharp 1.7:1 roller rockers from Russ Pottenger, about $350. Will act like a small cam.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CobraMarty

If you want some easy power, I would try Harland Sharp 1.7:1 roller rockers from Russ Pottenger, about $350. Will act like a small cam.
I second this
Old 02-01-2017, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by CobraMarty

I would do a cam before different rockers. For $350 all you are getting is somewhere around a .025" increase in lift and no increase in duration. That wont do much for power. For less then that, you could do a cam and lifters and gain more power. It is a whole lot more work though.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:34 PM

While roller rockers always interested me, it'll probably be a later down the road [random] purchase.

The main reason why I want to refresh the head is due to the head gasket leaking. It's luckily not a contamination leak (oil to coolant), but it leaks oil outside the head. I know it's not the valve cover. And all my fluids are normal (coolant clean, oil clean, neither smell like gas). I'm also over 200,000 miles, so I want to tackle the timing chain as well. While I do have a oil leak into my cylinders (burns a little oil), I'm alright with piece milling a rebuild. Even If I blow my low end to chunks.

I'm looking for a refresh that can also help my power. And yes, I do plan on regearing, but I'm waiting for the golden goose (4cyl late model 4.10 8.25) or just a damn good deal, I'm not gearing my dana35.

Thanks for the answers, guys!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Talking about that mythical 4 cyl XJ, I saw one at Foss about a month ago. I was pissed because I recently regeared mine. I put an 8.8 in mine. Easy to find an Explorer with 4.10s in it. Then it's just a matter of welding new spring perches and shock mounts on. I had mine in the jeep in a weekend, easy work. Drove it around in 2WD for a month or two while I built the front axle. My 90 has the CAD so I found a D30 out of a 98 XJ (has the larger u joints) and built it. Nice to build it on a bench rather than under the jeep. Welded a truss on it, LCA skids, and relocated the shock mounts to eliminate the bar pins. Then regeared the D30. I picked both axles up at Pick n Pull. They have a half off sale every Labor day and Memorial day, and occasionally have a half off sale for the Tool Kit members. I see you're on the other side of the HRBT from me, I'm sure you're at PnP often enough then.

If its just oil leaks making you want to redo the top end, then I would start building the stroker on an engine stand. If the bottom end goes with the new top end, it is possible it could FUBAR the head. Chunks of piston in the combustion chamber play hell on the valves.

Last edited by bad_idea; 02-02-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 AM

You guys think it's a good idea to just replace the head gasket, clean up a bit, and push her till death?
I'm down for building on a stand and having a nice full refreshed power house. I'm just hard headed.

I've been watching pnp's website for promising treasures haha