Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TeraFlex TJ Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default TeraFlex TJ Shocks

Found a guy local that has a new set of Teraflex VSS's. Thing is, they are for a TJ. I know the fronts should fit, but what about the rear?

I checked on Quadratec and the front shock says it fits XJ and TJ. The rear shock says it just fits XJ. I checked the part# through TeraFlex and the rear doesn't even come up on their site.

Further more, if you check the online catalog for Teraflex, they don't even list any shocks for the XJ.

Anyone know if these will fit on the rear? To me, it looks like the mounts are the same for the rear. Still utilizes the bar pin setup.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

While I don't think stock-to-stock TJs/XJs shocks are the exact same size they are really close. They mount the same way so I don't think you should have a problem. What lift are they for/how much lift do you have or are they just stock length?

*edit*Upon using Google it appears that the TJ hole studs are slightly different on the rear but it is pretty easy to modify the bushing to get them to fit.

Last edited by Ianf406; 01-30-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 AM

These are the TeraFlex 3" to 4" lift.

The lift I have should measure out to 4.5" which brings up another question I have. If I run the the 3 to 4" from TF on my lift, this should just limit flex extension travel, but not cause the shock to bottom out right? It would just limit the extension since they aren't as long?

I don't need extreme flex on this Jeep. Its a DD with the occasional weekend wheeling. While we have some decent trails in the area, there isn't anything that is extreme on the main trail. If you go off the main trail there is some more challenging things, but these are not part of my goals while the vehicle is a DD (Looking to buy a new DD next and make this the weekend warrior eventually)

Here is the lift items and why I am buying shocks. I posted this last week, but didn't get any responses. Since the coils are supposed to be 4.5", I think the leaf packs are 3", plus the shackles and a set of small lift blocks to get the rear to 4.5". I think it should settle between the 4 and 4.5" range. I'm doubtful it will be any higher than 4.5"

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ne...cluded-187176/
Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I would have him measure the shocks and give you exact length (extended/collapsed). While the TJ stock to XJ stock is only slightly different, the TJs are the short ones. I am sure they would work but you might not have all that much down travel left in them. I know your not looking for a ton of flex but s#k$ does happen and it would suck to ruin em on accident. I think at most you would be between 1.5/2 inches shorter than a shock that would come with a XJ 4.5 kit.

*the small piston on the shock wont take the weight of your axle/tire/momentum pulling on it for very long if that scenario happens.

Last edited by Ianf406; 01-30-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
While the TJ stock to XJ stock is only slightly different, the TJs are the short ones.
This is exactly what I was thinking as well. I knew the TJ's were a tad shorter.

I will get with him and measure the extended and compressed lengths on the rear. Should be from the center of the eyelet to the bar pin when taking measurements correct?

EDIT: Checked on the TJ part number 1544334n from TeraFlex. Shows to be 25.00" extended and 14.96" collapsed length. I checked on the XJ rear shock 1544345, but I can't the shock measurements from TeraFlex.

If the TJ shock is a tad to short, would adding some BPE's in rear drop it down a bit, or do you still have about the same height with the bar pin?

Last edited by XJ Sam; 01-30-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Not to double post, but I did find this in an older TeraFlex catalog. PT#s look to still be same

Looks like both shocks for the TJ and XJ have the same extended and collapsed lengths in the rear.

Why would these be different? I thought maybe because of the rear axle, but if they fit 97+ TJ's there is no specification for D44 or D35. And, if the XJ fits 84-01 there is no separate listing for D35 or C8.25.

Not really seeing a big difference between the two. Hopefully someone can lend a helping hand. I can get these things at a smoking deal for all 4.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

They may be valved differently for vehicle weight, or it may just be hocus pocus / marketing.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
*edit*Upon using Google it appears that the TJ hole studs are slightly different on the rear but it is pretty easy to modify the bushing to get them to fit.
Thanks for the info. Just saw this edit. If this is all that needs to be done. I will go ahead and pick them up.

They may be valved differently for vehicle weight, or it may just be hocus pocus / marketing.
As Ian mentioned, looks like a small mod might have to be made to the bushing, nothing major. I wouldn't think vehicle weight would be much different to be honest. Maybe be between a bone stock TJ SE base and the XJ, but I would think loaded Saraha hardtop would be close to the weight of the XJ. Since they aren't model specific I doubt the valving is different. Good thought though!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

We just changed bushing and they fit fine . One thing there longer by about 2 inchs than xjs . Both being factory shocks fully extended.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
We just changed bushing and they fit fine . One thing there longer by about 2 inchs than xjs . Both being factory shocks fully extended.
TJ Rubicon shocks should be about that much longer stock- But from everything I read the TJ shocks are slightly shorter than XJs. I could be wrong as I have not ever compared them- Just what I read on JeepForum etc etc.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 PM

I found the same info Ian did.

Looks like stock vs. stock, the TJ are a bit shorter, but I found quite a few people still running them.

Aftermarket the extended and compressed lengths are the same. From what I read about bushings, seems like the sleeve in the bottom bushing is to small and has to be removed. I'm sure I will figure it out when I throw them on.

I will grab some info and pics when I install them to narrow this down for sure on what mods are needed. I will have them in hand tomorrow and see if I can spot any differences.