Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYE and still SOME vibes???? SYE Veterans needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default SYE and still SOME vibes???? SYE Veterans needed

Hi guys. I did my first lift this last week on my 99' Cherokee 4x4. I did a Zone 3" AAL. I did do a bastard pack/AAL hybrid in the rear. I used S10-Blazer springs and my XJ springs, AND the one AAL. I did a little truffle shuffle and ended up 5" tall in the rear, used the Zone coil springs in the front with 1.25" spacer in the front.

I also used the Iron Rock HNT that comes with the refurbished XJ front driveshaft, with a new yoke (transfer case end), new u-joint. I have really nice GY tires that were just balanced, truck was aligned a few days ago as well. Track stright going down the road.

I noticed a vibration around 30MPH (that's the most pronounced speed you really notice it) and it tapers off and is really hard to detect at hwy speeds (65+).

When doing the HNT, I, like someone else-found the provided T-case side yoke way too long (3/4-1") in the middle of the install. I has been at the lift for 6 days and was ready to have my DD back on the road. I had to cut the Yoke down by the 3/4"-1" (in a vise), with the 4" cut off wheel by hand.

I was really pissed because it didn't say anything in the directions about maybe needing to ajust the Yoke's length-or I would have been better prepared.

Since it was by hand, the cut came out angled slightly. I called Iron Rock to vent and ask them to add that the customer might have to "cut their yoke" in the instructions to help inform future customers. I also told them what I had to do. That I was worried about vibes because of the uneven yoke cut.

The guy I was talking to said that cut wasn't critical, and that it being slightly off, wouldn't give me vibes. He said he did it to his XJ and had no vibes.

When feeling the vibes, I pop the auto trans into neutral, and they go away. Pop it back in drive, and they come right back, so at least I know generally where it is.

Question: Can the Yoke (on the transfercase end) being cut uneven, cause this vibes?

I want to know if it's worth it to pull it off and have a local machine shop square it, or if I should be looking somewhere esle.